How to stop PP from harvesting transactions into Contacts

LensLenders
Contributor
Contributor

PP currently harvests every person you do a transaction with into "Contacts". I don't want this. For starters, it's a privacy law violation, since I don't have approval from customers for their info to be automatically, permanently recorded into a PP "Contacts" list. Beyond that, it's just a nuisance to have a "Contacts" list hundreds of names long, most of whom I will never need to manually write or bill to.

How to a) turn this off and b) mass-delete the "Contacts" that PP has harvested?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LensLenders 

This is an interesting point because there was case I saw last night where the poster sent a payment to an email address that was given to her and she sent payment but this payment went to another person with the same name! And she found out because the picture of the person (how she was able to see a pic is anyone's guess, maybe email address because they show avatar pics these days) is not the person the payment was meant for, now how can that be???

If it is not PayPal using the database in this way and people haphazardly click the wrong person or payment directed to the wrong person some kind of way, grabbing identities from the whole PayPal database of similar name people popping up in your contact list. Me no like. I just find it weird that the person given you, you would think, the correct email address but the payment went to someone else with the same name.

The gist is that the wrong person wouldn't send money back or respond and so she had to pay the correct person and got overdraft. I'm not big on how these companies are handling the data. Like if I want my pic to show on my gmail account as a simple avatar, fine but I don't want my pic out on all my emails all over the place as an avatar on everyone else's webmail or email client.

Try going to the Manage Invoices page and navigate the menu to Address book and see if you can mass delete.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

joeygjoeyg
Contributor
Contributor
Where is the button to turn this off? i've got transactions and contacts from 10 yrs ago. there are 100s...maybe 1000s!!! why are they in there??? i dont know 95% of them. like craigslist emails???what da????
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.