How to disable 2 step verification?

DirectionDPS
New Community Member

Hello, does anyone know how to disable 2-step verification? We have several people using the account so the text code is very limiting. When I search in Paypal, it just says that Business accounts do not have 2-step...yet I'm a business account (definitely checked) and I have 2 step. 

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23

HeirFlick
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem too. even after disabling it it turns back on, when I got to settings it says set up after setting up i can then update where I disable it, but it still asks me for the 2 step verification, when I go back into settings it displays set up. even when logged on when you go into setting it wants a code.

I think we should all keep clicking resend 100 times till paypay  listens us. its only costing them in txt`s.

Paypal make the disable button work properly  I didn't turn it on in the first place. 

Login to Me Too

GlauxTheOwl
Contributor
Contributor

Is this different for PayPal UK? Because I don't have an option to "disable". I have to choose between a text message or the authenticator app. Both  inconvenient if, like me, you need to log on frequently. I'm all for security, but enforcing a strong password requirement ought to be enough. At the very least they should give us the option of slightly lower security, if that's what we want. After all, it's our account and our money. Control freaks, as usual.

Login to Me Too

MissWebbo
New Community Member

I totally agree, here in the UK there's no option to disable it. Apparently if your PC automatically deletes cookies when you turn it off, paypal can't recognise it's you when you log in & sends the 2 step authentication all over again and again and again . . . . .  The rigmarole is a complete pain in the backside!

Login to Me Too

jonnie451

Same issue here - I am also in the UK. Its a nightmare - Paypal assistants try the usual - turn on and off your computer and clear cookies - wasted a couple of hours yesterday on that. Paypal need to understand phones are not reliable devices for 2step - what happens if you lose your phone and have funds in your account that you cannot get hold of?

Even worse for me! Paypal do not offer a sensible option for transferring accounts internationally, and since I returned to the UK after a number of years living in Ireland I am going through the painful process of manually transferring records from my tiny "one man hobby" business PP account in Ireland to my new PP in the UK.

I am having to keep alive my Irish sim card ( at the cost of 15 Euro a month ) and manually swap sims in my phone each time I want to access the Irish account - so the hassle of receiving texts but on top of that rebooting my phone every time I swap sims. Thankfully I am nearly at the stage of being able to close the Irish account - its not a black and white issue changing country - there is necessary overlap - opening the new account whilst closing down the old and if you are a business however small you will have invoice proformas and records you need to make a copy of - of course PP do not offer any useful tools like "export invoice proformas" you have to rebuild them step by step.

I have worked 20 years in IT - if we wrote interfaces and processes the way PP do I would have been sacked years ago - no evidence of Usability experts involved - frequent issues with recent transfers and transactions giving blank screens when inquiried upon ( probably server lag between different international branches of PP ), badly thought through user experiences. Lack of sensible tools and options - what about a "easy transfer account internationally option - I had to do it manually using only PP tools and procedures so why not automate it - all with the absolute joy of 2 step verificiation - 2 SIMS - Sim swapping and so on.

Support staff useless - after the person I was talking to got out of her depth I was directed to a ticket forum dealing with API integration!!!

Login to Me Too

Simoone
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I totally agree with your opinion and also with the previous comments.

PP has one of the crappiest services I have ever experienced. It took me over 1 hour of time and money to call from America to Europe so they can tell me that they can't help me and don't know how to solve the problem. They could not tell me why the money transfer could not be done. They really recommended in the end to talk to the person who is in charge to send the money...
I had to call Europe as it was not possible to call PP in the US directly, only because I have sent PP's US customer service options in circles and I have ended up with the same useless service over and over again. Not even messages were handled in a customer oriented way.

I wonder more and more why the masses - and I don't exclude myself - keep falling for such service-unfriendly companies, because apart from cost, time and frustration I see no benefit. There are enough alternatives to PP and since this 2-step authetification already annoys me so much, I will look around for a new provider, because I don't want to be offered that as a customer anymore.

Login to Me Too

javier9999
New Community Member

I have the same problem

Login to Me Too

gunrunnerjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happening to me, what  a giant **bleep**!  I still get SMS messages when I log in, even though 2-Factor ID is NOT enabled on my account!  Before, they kept popping up the captcha every login, which was an equal **bleep**!  When is PP every going to get this right? 😠

Login to Me Too

tranquilearth
New Community Member

I don't even have 2 step security enabled on my paypal account so the only option I have is to enable it when it already is enabled. From UK also. Hate paypal. Can't wait to ebay gets rid of it for good. While the hell should we have to do this evertime we login. I even phoned paypal and the woman I spoke to said she would disable it only if she could text me a verification code! She did and I read it back to her. She said she had deactivated it but I tried logging in while she was still on the phone and nothing had changed! Waste of time and energy.

Login to Me Too

Temp20230218A
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah. This works for a few hours and then when you go to log in a day later you end up with the same problem and 2 factor auth is turned on again without your consent.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hey @Temp20230218A,

Welcome to our community forum and thanks for posting here!

Sorry for the inconvenience! PayPal’s 2-step verification gives you an extra layer of security. You can opt to skip 2-step verification on a device you trust. Simply log in to PayPal on the device and complete 2-step verification. You'll see the option to "trust this device.

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.