How to check legal name

DuoRogue
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal won't let me accept money because I haven't provided a photo ID yet. However the ID needs to match my legal name. I'm not an idiot who just puts their full legal name and information out on the internet, so there is a chance my legal name on here isn't my actual legal name. However, someone sent me some money, and I don't want to lose the money just because of this, but I also need to send some money and have a limited time to do so, and sending a photo ID and having it be denied for not matching my legal name would waste time I don't have.

Is there a way to check the legal name I have on my account easily? 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DuoRogue 

I hate to break it to you but you will be the "one" who won't get their money as PayPal requires the names to match identification so you can prove you are who you say you are. PayPal already rejected your ID. The money will just have to go back and you have to receive funds another way.

You can see if it will let you can change the name on the PayPal account if the change is not to drastic:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Name > Update

Change options:

Change your legal name - Use a new name after marriage, divorce, etc.

Update your name - Use your full name instead of a nickname, for example

Make a minor correction - Fix a typo of 1 or 2 characters

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

DuoRogue
Contributor
Contributor

I hate to break it to you but you will be the "one" who won't get their money as PayPal requires the names to match identification so you can prove you are who you say you are. PayPal already rejected your ID. The money will just have to go back and you have to receive funds another way.

You can see if it will let you can change the name on the PayPal account if the change is not to drastic:

I haven't submitted my ID yet, because I don't know if the legal name is correct or not. Congratulations on missing the entire point of my post.

I don't care about changing it, I just want to see what it is. Do you think I didn't try changing it already?

I don't have a certificate that says I changed my name, because I DIDN'T change my name.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Chethan

Hi @DuoRogue,

Welcome to PayPal Community! 

I see that you have been requested to submit a photo ID to claim your payment and you are not aware of the name used in your PayPal account. I'm glad to help you with this. To view the name used in your PayPal account, just click on the "Gear" icon next to the login button.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

DuoRogue
Contributor
Contributor

Does this actually give the legal name, or the display name? It appears to do the latter, which isn't useful to me. If this is the former, however, then I thank you for your help, though I urge you to make it more clear. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.