How do I stop Notifications to messenger

Sangria
New Community Member

I accidentally linked my PayPal acct to my sons messenger account. How do I disable this? He is now getting messages from all my xmas purchases for him!

Login to Me Too
142 REPLIES 142

OzCrimson
Contributor
Contributor

I've seen other people complaining about PayPal being linked to Messenger and Facebook. Some people even saying they :accidentally" linked the 2. Well, several times I almost accidentally linked them myself. 

While processing a transaction there's a small check-marked box, ready to TAKE permission to send notifications to Facebook/Messenger. There's absolutely no reason why I should have to opt OUT of such a thing.

I'll put this into context why this is so annoying.

The internet is full of intrusions, alerts, popups, malware, invitations to download or update something, etc. A person has to be vigilant, and constantly make decisions. It's exhausting! Now, having to opt OUT of linking PayPal, Messenger and Facebook is just one more thing to watch out for. Just one more annoyance. One more decision about something I didn't ask for.

Moreover, there isn't the option to just plain get rid of that offer. With my next purchase, I'll have to be on the alert to un-check that box again. It's like they're sure we'll either miss the box or get tired of unchecking it. 

And the benefit isn't all that helpful. If I order a USB cable, I don't need to have my breakfast interrupted with an alert saying the cable was shipped. That adds nothing to my life, it actually is an unwelcome disruption. If the cable seems to be taking a long time to arrive, I will determine the place and time to track the order. So, no. I don't ever want to link these accounts, and I don't appreciate the checked box every time I make a purchase.

Login to Me Too

evlitegroup
Contributor
Contributor
No they don't, not only is it a stream line tool, it's going to get more popular. Knowing exactly where your purchased item is? I'd hardly call that a problem. It's also another layer of protection, PayPal gets compromised true owner gets a Facebook message they can act quickly and call PayPal. It's a requirement at my shop, period, only ones that don't like it have something to hide. It's already caught one fraudulent sale, because it's instant, no loss of revenue or product for me, acted swiftly and the guy got his money right back.
Login to Me Too

OzCrimson
Contributor
Contributor

@evlitegroup wrote:
No they don't, not only is it a stream line tool, it's going to get more popular. Knowing exactly where your purchased item is? I'd hardly call that a problem. It's also another layer of protection, PayPal gets compromised true owner gets a Facebook message they can act quickly and call PayPal. It's a requirement at my shop, period, only ones that don't like it have something to hide. It's already caught one fraudulent sale, because it's instant, no loss of revenue or product for me, acted swiftly and the guy got his money right back.

How about you opt IN rather than a pre-checked box that I have to remember to see and opt OUT?

I do not ever want my PayPal, Facebook and Messenger tied together.

And don't suggest that anyone who complains has something to hide. That's not true at all. I'm sick of the agitation of all these alerts AND the pre-marked checkbox. I opted IN to having PayPal email me when I make transactions. And that was sufficient when someone did make a fraudulent charge on my account 3 years ago. 

Login to Me Too

OzCrimson
Contributor
Contributor
To be clear. I'm not suggesting that the option be eliminated. I would be happy for that pre-marked checkbox to default to unchecked.
Login to Me Too

michelsal
New Community Member

I am quite angry at this linkup happening without my consent.  of all the ways to risk my information, linking finance to facebook!!!!???

Login to Me Too

wifeypoo
Contributor
Contributor

yeah they really took a dive on this one.  it's **bleep** off a lot of people, especially since they didn't provide a way to opt out until today.  

/t5/About-Payments/How-do-I-stop-Notifications-to-messenger/td-p/1146358  

Login to Me Too

AliceBoston
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

PayPal Notification Messages on FaceBook are annoying, but easy to turn off.  Along with putting messages on your FaceBook, however, PayPal notifies you that now you have given PayPal the right to access and use your public FaceBook information. This is of a much bigger concern to me, because this action, from what I understand, is not reversable.

I turned the Messenger off. Now, how do I make sure that PayPal did not distribute my FaceBook info among third party vendors"?  I do not like PayPal taking actions on me that are irreversable.

Any thoughts on this (except being very annoying)?

Login to Me Too

ahern
New Community Member

+1

I too would like to reverse this setting. I don't want paypal to send notifications to paypal messenger.

Login to Me Too

tlserenity
Contributor
Contributor

It is too bad that there is no more replies to this post!

I made the mistake several years ago of joining the two accounts when I had a company account on Facebook. I took PayPal OFF Facebook, now I am getting questions from PayPal asking me to join it with Messenger. Ugh. If I had wanted PayPal joined with Facebook, I would have left the two joined!

Login to Me Too

AnnoyedasCrap
Contributor
Contributor

Once you have accidentally clicked on an ok button to opt into receiving transaction details via Facebook message, any transactions you make going forward will go to a Facebook account in message form.  How do you change which Facebook account this goes to?  Also a similar question was asked on how to disassociate your Facebook completely which was incorrectly marked as solved by a moderator because they answered it with the ability to just "disable"  I would like to know how both methods:  1) change the Facebook account that is messaged   2) disassociate my facebook completely from Paypal, not disable notifications.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.