How do I stop Notifications to messenger

Sangria
New Community Member

I accidentally linked my PayPal acct to my sons messenger account. How do I disable this? He is now getting messages from all my xmas purchases for him!

Login to Me Too
142 REPLIES 142

Blarney77
Contributor
Contributor

You can call Paypal.  They will only turn off your notifications IN MESSENGER.

(How they have access to my messenger I dont know.  They may be blocking it somehow or other besides)

They will continue to send your transaction to Messenger whether you SEE them or not, as I was just informed.  We are being opted into this program by doing business with any company that apparently runs their business through Facebook and uses Paypal for the purchase!   Just by doing business with a Facebook business that uses Paypal you are added to thier program that will begin sending notices about your purchases to your messenger and your ONLY recourse is to BLOCK your messeges in Messenger.

Period.

Thats it!  They are touting this as some grand new thing to let you see your payments in Facebook through MICROSOFT'S MESSENGER!    If you are okay with this, you may continue.   But you do not apparently have to give explicit permission for your PRIVATE, SECURE information to be sent to a PUBLIC forum!   Okay... so maybe yuou are the only one that access it?  well, anyone that can access your Facebook can now access your PayPal transactions as well.  Ain't that just SPIFFY!

If you are NOT okay with this abuse and BREACH OF SECURITY then you might want to let these people KNOW that.

This IS an ABUSE OF PAYPAL'S CUSTOMER'S TRUST!     Doing this without EXPLICIT permission is WRONG, and may possibly be ILLEGAL!  

I WILL BE CHECKING!

Login to Me Too

Donna888
New Community Member

Please let me know if you find out if this is legal - I can't believe it's legal!  Given all of the new banking regulations I can't believe it could possible be legal!

Looking forward to the class action suit.

Login to Me Too

FTS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Blarney77 wrote:

"well, anyone that can access your Facebook"

Why would you let other people access your personal FB account?

Login to Me Too

Blarney77
Contributor
Contributor

@FTS wrote:

@Blarney77 wrote:

"well, anyone that can access your Facebook"

Why would you let other people access your personal FB account?

I don't normally, but if I got up from my desk, I use a desktop system, anyone in the house could open FB and see what was going on.  This is not a regular problem, but many of us don't shut off our computers or totally log out of FB all the time. 

This practice is not totoal;ly secure, but it is no longer an issue.  After going though 5 different PayPal reps, I finally got one who knew how to remove my association with FB.  The sad thing is that you are automatically opted IN to this system if you merely buy something from a FB business that also deals with PayPal.   They do not even give you a choice, or a way to remove that association without calling PayPal.

Login to Me Too

KWILHELMY
Contributor
Contributor
We're talking about Facebook messenger (which is separate from the Facebook app on a phone), not MSN (Microsoft) messenger. Just so ya know..
Login to Me Too

peppersass
Contributor
Contributor

This is outrageous. Like the rest of you, I did not authorize PayPal to send my financial transactions to anyone else, let alone Facebook, which is the all-time leader in compromising personal information.

I have also discovered that Facebook was added to my pre-approved payments list on January 28, 2017. I did not authorize this, either. Adding a pre-approved merchant without my permission is *really* crossing the line!

PayPal and Facebook be advised: If you do not turn off this feature on my account -- and I mean ensuring that information about my financial transactions is not sent to Facebook or any other entity -- I will contact my State Attorney General and my Congressional Representatives and ask them to start an investigation into this deceptive and illegal marketing practice.

Until this is fixed to my satisfaction, I will be using Visa Checkout and Apple Pay instead of PayPal wherever I can. Shame on you PayPal!

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Ok, I use FB Messenger and use PayPal.  How come I don't receive notifications on Messenger?  Maybe remove PayPal as payment method on FB.  PayPal is one thing I do not have added to my Facebook payment method settings, hence no notifications.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

KWILHELMY
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker wrote:

Ok, I use FB Messenger and use PayPal.  How come I don't receive notifications on Messenger?  Maybe remove PayPal as payment method on FB.  PayPal is one thing I do not have added to my Facebook payment method settings, hence no notifications.

You have to use the same email for facebook as messenger. 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Ahh, I see.  Yeah, my FB email and my primary PayPal email addy are different.  Maybe that is the work around. Change your FB or PayPal primary email address.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ulde
Contributor
Contributor

I  was paying a website purchase today, and ended stuck due to pop-up Paypal wanting to force to send the receipt to messenger?????

I do not have FB app, I am not connected to messenger, nor do I know where that  messenger exists or not even want to find out.

I use desktop and all advising how to get rid of PP-FB-Messenger asks me to tap something - well however much I tap my pc the messenger does not appear.

I do not own phone with internet or email, I do not understand the whole messenger stuff.

So to get rid of the annoying pop up while making my payment was really hard and  scary, Paypal did not let me close the pop-up or back to previous page, I finally ended re-opening paypal  from my bookmarks and only that took the stuck pop-up window away.

I just wonder if I have to sign out from FB when I shop? total nuisance!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.