Help with possible Fraud

bcarrillo8211
Hello everyone, I was doing a transaction with someone online and they were going to pay me for something and they asked me for a security code and i gave it to them but the message says not to share it with them. I shared it before reading and now what do I do? Should I be scared that they will have access to my account? What should I do?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bcarrillo8211 wrote:
Okay I just did that should I be okay now? Like there won’t be any charges that will be filed anytime soon?

Don't know. Depends on how long they had access. Just monitor your account. Drop a message to PayPal to alert them that your account was temporarily compromised on such and such time/date because you mistakenly gave out your security code and has since changed your password, etc.

Click HELP at the top menu, click MESSAGE CENTER under the search bar of the next page. Beware that customer services is backed up and short staffed and you may run in to bots responding or reps who are not absolutely experienced so be patient and persevere. Don't freak out. If you see charges in your bank or card accounts report it to the bank or card issuer to get quickest optimum service, explaining what happened.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

bcarrillo8211
They also blocked me on Instagram so that does not give me a good sign.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bcarrillo8211 

Change your password or do the process again to get a new security code to keep confidential, whatever it is you did. They probably have access to your account. PayPal gives you a security code to access your account for say when you try to reset password, right?

Login to Me Too

bcarrillo8211
Okay I just did that should I be okay now? Like there won’t be any charges that will be filed anytime soon?
Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bcarrillo8211 wrote:

Don't know. Depends on how long they had access. Just monitor your account. Drop a message to PayPal to alert them that your account was temporarily compromised on such and such time/date because you mistakenly gave out your security code and has since changed your password, etc.

Click HELP at the top menu, click MESSAGE CENTER under the search bar of the next page. Beware that customer services is backed up and short staffed and you may run in to bots responding or reps who are not absolutely experienced so be patient and persevere. Don't freak out. If you see charges in your bank or card accounts report it to the bank or card issuer to get quickest optimum service, explaining what happened.

Login to Me Too

bcarrillo8211
Yes it was the security code to access the account, I just changed the password.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.