Google E-Mail Addresses (Fraud)

joejaen
Contributor
Contributor

It would seem apparent that despite many years of this being the Google policy, Paypal is not aware that Google many years ago changed their G-Mail policy that an email address would receive ALL emails sent to the address, regardless of whether there are periods "." in the address or not.

i.e. in Google's eyes:

billy.bob at gmail.com, billybob at gmail.com, b.i.l.l.y.b.o.b at gmail.com, bi.llyb.ob at gmail.com, ETC

are ALL one and the same email address.

Therefore, anyone that signed up with a Gmail account is open game to having someone also setup an account, be it real or fake (for phishing or scamming) using your same e-mail address by simply placing a dot (or removing a dot) anywhere in the email address when signing up. This is a major flaw in Paypal's security policy and I cannot believe it is even possible that a massive company, that claims to be the safe way to pay on the internet, hasn't yet caught on this even after many years. I understand it is also a flaw on Google's end, but still. It's been this way for many, many years and it should be so that for at gmail.com accounts, only one email can be setup for whatever characters are entered with, or without dots. That can't be that difficult to implement.

I am currently suffering from this problem, as someone signed up for an account using my email address with a variation including or not including a period. So I am getting all of their e-mails. And I can't simply mark them as spam, because they are legitimate Paypal e-mails and so G-Mail would mark ALL Paypal e-mails as spam, even for my actual account. And I can't unsubscribe from the bogus emails because you need to be logged in to do that and I obviously don't have their password.

I contacted Paypal, and they offered no help other than to tell me:

"In this case, I may suggest you to send her an email with that email address, and inform her that you are receiving his emails. or you can also make a little changes to your email address."

AND this gem:

"If you want to change the language on the account please follow guidelines below:" (not going to post all the steps as it is a waste of time)

I mean, talk about horrific customer service. I asked them to simply ask the creator of the other account to verify their e-mail address. Since they won't be able to, again because it's going to my email address, simply require them to use an e-mail address they can verify. that is a simple solution to fix this. yet Paypal wouldn't do that.

RIDICULOUS! Now I'm stuck with this person's emails flooding my account for the rest of time.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

MartinRR

Hi

I have the same issue.

It's been 2 years now that someone signed up with a dot variation of my email address. 

As the account has a different country, and a phone number (not mine), I cannot modify or delete the account.

I could change the password though, but for any other step I need SMS confirmation and I don't have a phone in that country. 

I cannot add my phone number because it's another country.

I have asked Paypal to delete the account, but they won't do it.

The fake account has a phone number and a bank account number, not verified either of them. Has no activity.

Today I found a button in tha Paypal settings to delete tha account, and it seems it worked. Received an email saying sorry to see you go.

Login to Me Too

joejaen
Contributor
Contributor

I'm gonna try this for sure. I would love to get rid of it and those damn emails. In my case it almost seems like a valid account created aby an idiot that typed the wrong email address, but I can't fathom how when you make a purchase you don't freak out never seeing your receipt. I duno. But I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.