Fraud transactions

Kelly_al
Contributor
Contributor
I’m absolutely beside myself....... my auntie messaged me yesterday telling me she was having bother with her PayPal and was trying to sell something, could I get the payment transferred to me and send to her bank, didn’t think anything Of it I mostly Message people on messenger (i run a beauty business) so I’m always on Facebook and messenger ..... so I sent the money on, in the meantime another transaction appeared and my “auntie” said it had been duplicated twice but because it was a different amount I hesitated and turns out it wasn’t her at all and her messenger had been hacked, so because the 2 amounts have been disputed by the the PayPal accounts in question as obviously there PayPal’s had been hacked into too means I’m now £460 In the red with PayPal, I’ve rang the bank who have requested the amount back from the fraudulent account but if no funds are available I can’t get that cash back, shall I contact police too ?? What will happen to the minus account in PayPal? Am I liable for that money ? 😞
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kelly_al

Common scam I'm afraid, they used you as a middle man in their scam.  Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kelly_al
Contributor
Contributor
Does that mean I’m liable for this debt if the bank can’t get it returned from the other bank ?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kelly_al

Sadly yes

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.