cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expired cards updated automatically

New Community Member

Expired cards updated automatically

The card registered to my account will expire next month, my bank have sent out my new card but it hasn’t arrived yet. When I look at my PayPal account it looks like my new card number has already been updated as the last 4 digits of the card are different. I haven’t updated the card details because I have no idea what it will be yet! How do PayPal already have my new card details?
7 REPLIES

Re: Expired cards updated automatically

Hi @Lizb84,

Welcome to the community. PayPal would not be able to edit or update any of your personal or financial information. You can check the 'Wallet' section of your PayPal account to view all of your financial details, card and bank account details included. If you are still unsure, please reach out to the relevant team by clicking on the 'Contact Us' ->'Call Us' option at the bottom of any PayPal page. We'll be happy to take a closer look.

Siobhán

New Community Member

My old card updated too before I even received the new card.
New Community Member

I had this tonight, panicked and called PayPal who told me the bank had done it. I called the bank who didn’t seem to care but said yes Visa May have done it!! I’m shocked that PayPal have my bank card details before myself ( card not due to expire till end of April) I believe we should have been informed very clearly from both PayPal and our bank that this was happening. The bank said visa will share it with merchants you have contracts with, I believe this shouldn’t happen and I prefer to be in control of my own cards.
New Community Member

The exact same thing has happened to me.  

My visa debit card is also due to expire at the end of this month and it appears it has already been automatically updated in Paypal, even though I have not yet received the new card myself. 

New Community Member

The same thing happened to me. I haven’t used my new card and PayPal have the details already. This is shocking! I don’t remember agreeing to this but no doubt it’s in the small print somewhere.
New Community Member

The scary part is that it also happens with credit cards which were stolen, blocked, and reissued with a new card number. 

Just imagine someone stealing your Paypal account. You block your card, request a new one, and before you receive your new card, the scammer already has your new card details in the stolen Paypal account ...

New Community Member

Exact same situation happened to me, and in my case, the card in the mail was a replacement to a lost one, so the entire card number was new, not just the expiration date and security code.  I logged into PayPal expecting to go through the Add a New Card process due to the new number, but was surprised to see the card's data already showing in my profile, completely updated.  Needless to say, I was quite worried to see PayPal already had all that information in the system before I even activated my card.  A little googling yielded this result.  Apparently, both Visa and MC have been employing this "account updater" system for several years in order to prevent interruption of automatic payments.  I assume this is a feature we can opt out of, but probably has to be done manually.  I'd recommend speaking to your credit card issuer directly.  

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy