Enable 2FA on an account

a1-_
New Community Member

Hi,

How does one enable any form of 2FA? preferably using Authenticator??

Seems like there's no option... The "Security key" option on the security settings page just reloads the page.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_security-token

Regards.

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22

PayPal_JonK

@cbj4074

It can take 1-2 tries for it to successfully activate. Also, if you have another one active (like your mobile number or an older token), make sure you turn that one off first. I just turned mine off and back on again and it did take 2 tries to activate. But you're on the right track in regard to entering the full value (SYMCXXXXXXXX without any spaces) and then the first 6 digit code, and then the next 6 digit code, and that should do the trick!

Anytime! Again, glad I can help out.

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

cbj4074
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_JonK 

Bingo! The crucial part was to enter the full SYMCXXXXXXXX, without the spaces. I had tried it as "SYMC XXXX XXXX" and just "XXXXXXXX", but I had the problem I mentioned previously in both cases. The only combination I hadn't tried was the one that worked. 😄

I'm sleeping much easier now, so thanks again for your guidance in setting this up. I wish I had known that this option existed ages ago.

Now, if we can just get support for more than one PayPal account on a single mobile device, we'll leave you alone!

Login to Me Too

ekrueger
Contributor
Contributor

Jon, thanks for your note.  I look forward to when Ppaypal brings forward the same capabilities as are already present in the personal account to the business accounts.   The problem with the VIP is that it is limited to 1 account.  In my specific case, I'm involved in a 501c3 at the state and all of it's individual chapters (20+), and therefore, there are more than 20 unique accounts -- which is a significant issue with the VIP solution.   There is a 3rd party workaround, but I'd rather use something officially supported by Paypal, if at all possible.  Plus, it just makes good business sense from a Paypal perspective as well.

Thanks,

Erick

@PayPal_JonK wrote:

@cbj4074,

No worries at all! I'm glad I can help. I definitely agree that page should be updated / modified to explain what authentication apps can be used. I'll make sure to pass your feedback on. Thank you!

@ekrueger,

I hear you. We definitely want to be as convenient as possible, but we also have to try to be as secure as possible. That being said, this is great feedback as well. We appreciate it and we hear you all loud and clear. I'm sure there's a solution down the road that walks that fine line of safety and convenience for multi-account / multi-app 2FA. I hope that VIP Access app helps out  for now. Keep your ear to the ground in the meantime. 

Thanks again and have a great day!

- Jon K

@PayPal_JonK wrote:

@cbj4074,

No worries at all! I'm glad I can help. I definitely agree that page should be updated / modified to explain what authentication apps can be used. I'll make sure to pass your feedback on. Thank you!

@ekrueger,

I hear you. We definitely want to be as convenient as possible, but we also have to try to be as secure as possible. That being said, this is great feedback as well. We appreciate it and we hear you all loud and clear. I'm sure there's a solution down the road that walks that fine line of safety and convenience for multi-account / multi-app 2FA. I hope that VIP Access app helps out  for now. Keep your ear to the ground in the meantime. 

Thanks again and have a great day!

- Jon K

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.