Dormant Account with obsolete email address and contact number!!

Spotlight61
Contributor
Contributor

I have a very old Paypal account that is linked to an obsolete email address and a contact number that belongs to an old residential address from 11 years ago! Did I say the account is old?! I need to know if there is a way to speak directly to customer services about this dormant account and have it closed and if any money is held in it transferred to my current account?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

pallas_athena
Contributor
Contributor

If you are able to log into your account, it is very easy to close your paypal account. If you are not able to log into your account, you will need to ask an agent over chat / messaging to do it. But you need to access the messaging by going here: (since you cannot log in) https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us and click on "Message us".  Then click on "chat with us while logged out".

The agent will be able to update your email and help you reset your password so you can log in and close your account.

If you ask the agent to close your account, you will be lied to and given the runaround. Just tell them you need to change your email and help resetting password and then close it yourself.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

pallas_athena
Contributor
Contributor

If you are able to log into your account, it is very easy to close your paypal account. If you are not able to log into your account, you will need to ask an agent over chat / messaging to do it. But you need to access the messaging by going here: (since you cannot log in) https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us and click on "Message us".  Then click on "chat with us while logged out".

The agent will be able to update your email and help you reset your password so you can log in and close your account.

If you ask the agent to close your account, you will be lied to and given the runaround. Just tell them you need to change your email and help resetting password and then close it yourself.

Login to Me Too

Spotlight61
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your advice.

I spoke with Customer Service, who were wonderfully supportive and thorough, they were able to close the account for me.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.