Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don’t have a mobile phone

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Don’t have a mobile phone

I have spent the whole day trying to get help from paypal to retain my account without getting a mobile phone which I do not want. I have had a paypal account for years with a verified landline home number and a verified email address. I am very upset at what seems to be veiled age discrimination and wonder how to contact paypal's legal dept.

Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

@marksaunt 

Even my bank sends me a text when i go to log in so a lot of companies are doing this now.

Why not just buy a cheap pay as you go phone and keep it just for that purpose?

Easily solved and not sure what age has to do with it. I have a 93 year old relative that has a mobile phone !!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks.  Your advice makes good sense if I weren't so annoyed at Paypal but this has become a matter of principal. I'll admit  age discrimination was probably a stretch but I still suspect the people this policy is excluding are more likely older & either don't want to be bothered with a cell phone or are concerned with privacy and freedom and have a memory of what real customer service used to be.  Paypal was a wonderful convenience but one I will do without. Sorry, I know this seems silly. It's not the price of the cell phone; it's the idea that Paypal wants to make me get one that rankles. Was frankly hoping more people thought this was bad practice by Paypal especially with no advance warning. I was able to get my funds out but some people may not have been so fortunate given this surprising change of policy.

Highlighted
Contributor

So will mine if I decide I want to use that option.  I didn't because my bank offered me the choice of three options and asked me to choose the one most convenient for me.

Paypal, it seems, has chosen the option that is most convenient for itself,  decided that its customers should not be given any of the other choice and that it is OK simply to demand they buy mobile phones if they want to continue to use paypal.

Out of interest, did your bank just give you the one option?  I bet it did not, but gave you a choice of several.

Highlighted
Contributor

My bank offers 3 methods to choose from each time I log in, I mainly use the free card reader they supply (which also works with most other banks in the UK) the point being I have a choice !

Highlighted
Contributor

It turned out that after a day and a half of messages via that customer service chat function  and 4 calls to a customer service number that  was nothing but a dead end, a nice customer service representative  was kind enough to respond to my request via chat that somebody actually call me on my landline to see if there might be any resolution of this  silly cell phone verification business. I agree with the folks who have observed that failing to address the issue of alternative means of verification is not a solution nor could the courteous representative really offer one except to  endorse my hope that the system would continue to allow me access despite my being unable to receive a code on my home phone number which I  had put in as a cell phone number in my desperation to log into my account yesterday. I did raise all the thoughtful concerns people had expressed on this site including the lack of cell phone reception, lack of alternative validation method and  the very basic right not to be cowed into  getting a phone one does not want in order to please Paypal. I am actually going to try to pursue this as a privacy policy issue since  dictating one's choice of phone strikes me as a privacy violation but I'm not going to be able to do that through this silly customer service process which must be as taxing and frustrating to the customer service representatives as to the customers.  They apparently have been given no authority, information nor tools to deal with this issue and  I ended up feeling sorry for them and wanted to acknowledge that one actually  did make an effort to contact me.  Paypal's high handedness is no fairer to its workers than its customers and 

I continue to hope that if we express our concerns and dissatisfaction, Paypal might be moved to reconsider this nonsense. I was relieved to see that others are not inclined to do the practical thing of caving & getting a cheap cell phone which in any event would not solve the problem of people with no or poor ell phone reception.   I have used a cell phone in the past. I choose not to now and  I still suspect that this paypal policy  discriminates  at least de facto against  older people who  don't like cell phones  or being made to use them and who remember a time when businesses were responsive to their customers.  Like the PhD who posted we know how to use the darn things but choose not to for some very good reasons. I've said enough but I do appreciate  the people who like me are offended by  Paypal's arrogance.  And I hope  Paypal experiences some loss as it sacrifices long term customers to  technological dictates.

Highlighted
Contributor

Perhaps you can explain exactly why Paypal has decided that they can only send verification codes by mobile? My bank (Halifax in the UK) sends any necessary codes by landline.

I don't have a mobile and I have no intention of ever getting one. I'm no technophobe: I got my PhD in Computer Science last year. Also I'm not poor, but a mobile would still be an unnecessary expense just for the convenience of carrying on using Paypal. I paid for things without any problem before Paypal and I will after they've caused me to close my account. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Its about freedom of choice and if a company thinks it can take away our freedom of choice, then that company needs to think again.

Highlighted
Contributor

This is a ridiculous new policy.  Cell phones are not an option for many people.  Some don't have them; others may not have reliable service in their area.  I fall in to both of those categories.

Just about every other company I deal with that requires verification uses email verification as an option.  Paypal need to add email verification.  If it works for my credit card company, the Gas Company, the electric company, etc., it will work for paypal.

Highlighted
Contributor

I had a similar problem.  I changed my phone number when I moved then when I tried to log in it went through a two step process and sent a message to the old phone number.  Try as I might I cannot get around this issue and can no longer access my account.  I have tried calling but never get through to a person, I just get cut off. VERY FRUSTRATING