Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,977 REPLIES 4,977

fromthemomma
Contributor
Contributor

Works if you have a "landline" but if you have a VOIP as a home phone you're out of luck.  I gave them my home # and never received a call back.  I tried twice, doesn't work with VOIP.  I'm on social security and Ooma VOIP cost me $15 a month, a Century Link landline was costing $75 a month so I had to drop that.  My check is $830 a month, after paying my Medicare and food I'm pretty much tapped out.  When I had a mortgage I logged in, they sent a code to my email address and the security was fine.  Paypal has made Paypal harder to use for seniors or anyone who either can't afford a cell phone or don't want one.  Guess it's back to the old paper bill, send a check snail mail. 

Login to Me Too

fromthemomma
Contributor
Contributor

I tried giving my landline, however I use Ooma which is a VOIP.  My phone never rang.  

Login to Me Too

marksaunt
Contributor
Contributor

Buoyed by the good news of being able to get a code through the land line # I had already put in, I tried to confirm that # with no luck.  Phone never rang & of course any text sent won't reach my land line.  Was really hopeful but seems I'm too far into this mess to get the landline code.

Login to Me Too

Shame on paypal for excluding people who chose not to have a cell phone. I have been a customer with them for over 10 years in good standing and consider this a slight. I am going to do my best to stop using there services. This policy is classist and evil.

Login to Me Too

slipkid
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, that sucks that the workaround above does not work with VOIP services.

I do have a landline but that uses VOIP (I think all landlines today do? or maybe I am confused, I know it is digital though, no longer analog), but not a 3rd party thing, is part of my ISP.

A few things weird to mention:

- After I did that above with my landline for my main paypal account (which I use for buying things) subsequent logins no longer make me go through that, the login works like it used to (just enter a password).

- And I then tried this on my paypal selling account, something I have not used in a long time, think it is called a merchant account or something like that, that account asked for the mobile but had the prompt that allowed me to say "not at this time" or "remind me later" or whatever the verbiage for that is.

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

In what universe is this considered "Solved"?

How are people who cannot meet the surprising new requirements supposed to delete their accounts if they can no longer sign into them?

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

The workaround of putting your landline in the box that demands a mobile number and then clicking the misnamed "Call you with a code" (it should be "Call you **for** a code") worked for me.

But then my account had my landline number listed as a Primary Mobile number, which is wrong.  The California Consumer Privacy Act says I have the right to correct information service providers keep about me, but there is no way to change phone type from Mobile to Home nor is there a way to delete the incorrectly tagged number (not even if you already have a Primary Home number).

So I solved the problem by closing my account.

Login to Me Too

KCClark
Contributor
Contributor

"The workaround of putting your landline in the box that demands a mobile number and then clicking the misnamed "Call you with a code" (it should be "Call you **for** a code") worked for me.

But then my account had my landline number listed as a Primary Mobile number, which is wrong."

Paypal has my Magic Jack number.  I tried your workaround but Paypal said the phone # was not acceptable.  I then tried my landline number.  Paypal thought that number was OK and called me with a code.  I entered the code and then the message "Sorry, we couldn't confirm it's you" popped up on my computer screen.  Tried again and got the same result.  Tried again and the third time was the charm, sort of.  Paypal texted me a code for confirmation.  I cannot get the code since it is a landline.  And my hope that this workaround would get me into my account at least once was dashed.

Login to Me Too

AZ109
Contributor
Contributor

"In what universe is this considered 'Solved' ? "

In the universe of a monopoly corporation that wants to rid itself of inconvenient account holders without getting too much bad publicity, complaints to regulators about misconduct, or probably most important - getting sued.

The recent user agreement updates, although so badly worded and so un-informative as to be meaningless, seem to me to reveal stage 2 of this process.   By saying that anyone who sells anything using PP to process the proceeds now has to register as a "Merchant" i.e Business, PP removes from anyone who complies all Consumer protection  --  it doesn't apply to a business.  By attempting to up-grade and failing because of lack of a mobile number, the line between a protected consumer and a "request" to up-grade to a Merchant Account is further blurred to PP's advantage. 

Login to Me Too

JohnnyH82

I also dont have a cellphone anymore...... i cant access my paypal account at all, where i still have money that i would need.
I cant contact PayPal support cause i have no telephone or anything.

This is a stupid decision by PayPal, and once i get the money from my account, i will absolutely look for a paypal alternative, this is pathetic

Its also hilarious ... i cant login.... so i click on contacts so i can send them a message..... asks me to login.
Pathetic , billion dolar company with the IQ of a sponge 
There is no way for me to enter a new number or anything.... basically what paypal wants is for me to own a cellphone.
that is such a **bleep** move

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.