Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

marksaunt
Contributor
Contributor

Not acceptable in the US either.  We were founded on the best of English political theory.  And we're properly grateful.

Login to Me Too

cojogo
Contributor
Contributor

Well how about this for stupidity,, on behalf of PP...

Have had an email, yes an email so proves they know what that is OK, So they could of sent a verification number to that... but NO!! they send me an email

to TELL me to log-in to my account to read their reply to this very problem.. and of-cause the very problem contacted them for was the bloody log-in problem we all in these threads are having, So is there anyone within PP with an actual brain cell, or do they only employ monkeys that just press a button on a predefined screen option to answer us.....

If businesses that I have been employed in through my working life acted this way they would of good out of business.. ie: NO! customer care.... 

Login to Me Too

AZ109
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the good news is that at least PP is (at last) at least trying to set -up an alternative to mobile-only verification.  Which belies the assertion by an "Esteemed" (but not by me) Advisor that mobile is the only acceptable method of doing this.  

Trouble is, it failed.  The call sent to my land-line, to confirm the screen printed code, never rang my land-line phone.   (BTW.  UK land-line numbers ARE acceptable in place of mobile numbers if the international form is used.  So <Removed> becomes <Removed>.  

BUT.  Then I got a screen with "No mobile?"  Having ticked that box I haven't been pestered for my (non-existent) mobile number or by two-step verification since and have had no further problems logging into my account.

Frankly, what amazes me is that although it is now obvious that PP is working on a solution that does not require a mobile phone (as required by the UK FCA Guidelines) but is still harassing account holders for these numbers and even more amazing is the fact that it is still denying access to accounts because they don't supply one.

One would think that with the impending loss of their biggest captive customer base at ebay, they would be doing everything possible to maintain the goodwill of users.  Not alienating them

Login to Me Too

u4coffee
Contributor
Contributor
Blame the EU; The Second Payment Services Directive (PSD2)
This is a new EU directive regulating payment services in the European Economic Area. The directive requires new measures that impact how you access your account and pay with PayPal. We cannot get away from it fast enough.
Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

It's not PSD2 that's the problem, it's Paypal's implementation of it that's the problem. Not being in the EU won't get you away from it anyone who deals with EU companies will have to implement it.

"

The FCA document "Strong Customer Authentification" first published 2/9/19 and updated as recently as 18/6/20 says:

"We expect firms to develop SCA solutions that work for all groups of consumers...... This includes methods that do not rely on mobile phones."

And.

"If this is not the case we (the FCA) expect them to discuss with us as priority."

And

"Specifically, we (FCA) expect:

Firms not to act outside the agreed industry delivery plan in ways that cause unnecessary problems for consumers or merchants."

The dead-line for implementation has been extended, due to Corvid 19, to 14/9/21."

Login to Me Too

u4coffee
Contributor
Contributor
No it’s not implementation; it’s the creation of something that was never asked for in the first place.
It’s an EU Directive/ European Banking Authority, administered by the European Commission (Directorate General Internal Market) to regulate payment services and payment service providers throughout the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA).

An Interfering nuisance; Visa criticised the proposal of making strong customer authentication mandatory, on the grounds that it could make online payments more difficult, and thus hurt sales at online retailers.
In 2020, an independent report conducted by consultancy firm CMSPI found that the potential disruption caused by strong customer authentication could be €108 billion in
Login to Me Too

MikeDF
Contributor
Contributor

Customer care????? They don't know the meaning.............

Login to Me Too

MikeDF
Contributor
Contributor

Are they actually helping anyone with this situation??? If not they need to get their act together - it's a disgrace....

Login to Me Too

marksaunt
Contributor
Contributor

I doubt Paypal is trying to help since they've labeled the problem solved by telling us to get mobile phones. I don't understand how it is getting away with this if the EU requires no discrimination but laws are only as good as their enforcement & I have no idea what the enforcement may be. This is iniquitous.

Login to Me Too

Kif01

I can't get past PDS2 for the same reason.

Why should I have to purchase a mobile phone and load it with credit I'm not going to use, simply to make life easier for PayPal, who are making life difficult for me to access my account?!

Unless PayPal show a lot more common sense over this, and accept that not everyone believes that they'll suddenly cease to exist without a mobile in their hands 24-7, I'll be finding alternative methods of payment. Make the system use landlines, or at least give a email option to verify.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.