Phone number changed - can't log in

SaintDH
Contributor
Contributor

My mobile number changed a few years ago but I never updated my profile. 

Now I can't log in as Paypal wants to send me a text on the old number to verify the account.

I've tried logging in from a different browser which doesn't work.

Also tried using the Help Chat system, but this also requires me to log in to proceed.

Tried ringing the help support number but spent ages going round and round in circles with the automated options, could not get to a point of speaking to an actual person.

Funny thing is, when I selected 'Ask the Community' to access this forum, it allowed me to log in to create this profile to do this!

Really stuck as to how to resolve. Would really appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this please?

Login to Me Too
4,959 REPLIES 4,959

marksaunt
Contributor
Contributor

Bad enough for Paypal  to be unhelpful generally but offering no accommodation to overseas military is unconscionable. as so many people have pointed out there are so many alternatives to the cell phone verification that there is no excuse for not offering any. Paypal should be ashamed of its lack of any helpful response & fake " resolution".

Login to Me Too

John_Hall99
Contributor
Contributor

One fears that, once a moderator slaps "solved" on a thread, however unjustifiably, that's the signal for nobody at Paypal to ever read the thread in future.

Login to Me Too

jimiL
Contributor
Contributor

^^^^^^^ this !

The two threads with the most replies in the My Account forum are this and the the PSD2 thread, basically both about the same subject, neitherbis going away much as they would like them to. Time to raise s complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service I think.

Login to Me Too

London4
Contributor
Contributor

This is ridiculous and discrimination. PayPal can send the code by email. And not to blackmail their customers so that they would spend an extra money to buy a telephone. Or  / and PayPal can resolve this problem with  "PayPal live help chat" . Why they cancelled this customers' service???!!!!

Login to Me Too

Rahatkhan
Contributor
Contributor
I Don't have a my verification Phone number.. Now i can't login my account I loss my number How can i login my account without Verification number please help me
Login to Me Too

rockney8588
Contributor
Contributor

It is arrogant and unacceptable to assume, expect and demand anyone using this service to own a cell phone.

It smacks of unethical cross-checking with other companies doing who knows what with our private information. I don't care what the privacy statement says. We all know companies do nefarious things behind closed doors.

Further, as has been proven by the recent massive bank hack in Europe, it is a FALLACY to think someone can actually be "verified" by using SMS to send a useless "code" in attempts to tie every possible means of tracking someone together.

As a 45-year software engineer I find these tactics to be 1) unethical, 2) useless, 3) aggravating, 4) intrusive.

Login to Me Too

Temp20201222a

Everyone can not afford a mobile phone!  How did you at PayPal get so full of yourself?  I can't log in to my account which I've had for years.  

Login to Me Too

lostinmidwest

I don't have a mobile, have no plans to get one either. If it now means I can't use PayPal, so be it. Don't know when this policy requiring a mobile was introduced - a week ago it wasn't necessary, but it seems discriminatory to me: forcing me to make an unwanted purchase.

Adieu PayPal.

Login to Me Too

MikeDF
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for this - but how can I access my account that I have had for YEARS now?

Love it when technology HAS to be used.............NOT!

Bye for now

Mike

Login to Me Too

MikeDF
Contributor
Contributor

Yet again it seems that Paypal don't really seem to care about people who don't, won't or cannot use a mobile phone - for whatever reason they may have.  Another strike for people trying to make life difficult these days. Disgusting and totally wrong - like a lot of stuff these days......

If there's a problem with my account, I guess it doesn't matter and I won't have to sort it out. I think I will just shut down the items I have using paypal buttons and give up.......

THANK you Paypal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.