Dashboard glitches and no response to name change requests

articlesrelate
Contributor
Contributor
Hi everyone

I've been trying to get in touch with Paypal customer service for 6 weeks as I'd requested a name change for my 'Personal Name' and provided all the necessary documents, but received no confirmation or updates if any kind. I haven't heard anything back from customer service either. 
The main reason for name change was that I accidentally listed my personal name as my business name, which does not match the bank account I want to link. Although my bank has said it won't charge any fees in that situation, it vaguely seems like Paypal could if the names don't match?

I've also had an account alert since I created the account saying I need to provide more information, but whenever I click it it says the problem is resolved but the alert won't go away
Also every time I click on a link to take me to the help centre, it redirects me to the summary page. What is going on with this company!!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@articlesrelate 

PayPal don't specifically charge fees for non-matching names. Never heard of that but it could interfere with the performance of your account by PayPal limiting your account asking for identity verification if your account is flagged by their security system. If you have funds in the account though, this can be an issue as the funds can get stuck if account holder name on the PayPal account does not match your photo ID and other documents. Well I guess in that respect that can be construed as charging fees.

Due to the Coronavirus situation, their staff is reduced exponentially so response and processing of requests such as name changes is taking longer. 

The business name can be easily changed in the business information settings but PayPal doesn't allow or at least make it very difficult to make significant changes to account holder name to an entirely different name that is not associated to marriage/divorce or legal name changes.

You might as well close the account and open a new one.

Close account checklist:

1. Resolve any open disputes or account limitations.
  2. Zero out the balance.
  3. Cancel any active automatic payments.
  4. Remove financial info (bank accounts, cards).
  5. Go to Settings.
  6. Click Close Account across from Account Type.

So is the business name used as your account holder name?

Otherwise, you can change the business name this way:

Account Settings > Account Owner Information > Name > Change 

Options:

You've legally changed your name - Use a new name after marriage, divorce, etc.

Your name is incorrect - Make a minor change if it's 2 letters or fewer.

Your contact name has changed - Your business contact's name has changed

Your business name has changed - Update your business name

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.