Creating a new account with phone number used on an old closed account?

wchri12
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, my son used to have a PayPal account, but closed it a few months ago after he hadn't used it for years and assumed he would never need a Paypal account again. Well, he needs to create a new account, but he is unable to because when he tries to create an account and submit a mobile phone number, it says "Sorry, we can't send a text to that number." We think that this is because his phone number is still associated with that old closed account, but we have no way of removing that phone number from the account because it is closed, meaning we have no access to it anymore. We do not have any spare phone numbers to use to create the new account, and he is unable to reopen the old one. How is he supposed to use Paypal if Paypal won't let him create an account? Can anyone at Paypal remove that phone number from the closed account so it can be used again to create a new one? These are the questions I would like to have answered, but I cannot seem to get ahold of anyone. I have spent hours on the customer service line, but the automated response system is completely useless when trying to solve the problem and whenever it says that it will transfer me to an agent, the automated voice says "sorry, we are unable to process your inquiry right now" and then immediately hangs up, resulting in having to start the entire call all over again. I have tried messaging Paypal support on Twitter as well as Instagram, but I am yet to receive a response. What are we supposed to do? How can I talk to someone who can help?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.