Crazy or What???

Greek_Les
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm often in Greece, we have a house there.   About 2years ago I had problems using Paypal there &, after a LONG phone call a 'flag' was set on my account so that I could log in from abroad with no problems.

About 2weeks ago, after resetting my password & confirming my ID about a dozen times, I spoke at length (about 2hours) to a CSR who said that he would have this flag set to meet my requirements again.

Today I have just reset my password again, confirmed my ID again, & spoken to a CSR, AGAIN.

New info.   If I want to use Paypal without going through this crap every time that I use it from Greece, I have to set up a Greek Paypal account!!!!    How the hell that would work I don't know, as (surely) I would have to set it up with a Greek bank account number?     OK, I can do that, but how about someone here on holiday for a month or so  (for which the CSR said that the same would apply)???

Paypal, likes to be thought of as a bank, but is a long way off at the moment - & getting worse.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Greek_Les 

Paypal is country specific so you have to open a paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You are allowed x2 paypal accounts but only if x1 is a personal account and the other x1 is a business account.

Paypal advise you that you may hit problems if you log into a 'country specific' paypal account in another country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Greek_Les
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

There is a lot of difference between "Paypal advise you that you may hit problems" & the reality, which is that you cannot use it.    When you go to pay for something using Paypal it doesn't let you log in, therefore you cannot use it.

Having hit a problem 2years ago or so, which was resolved at the time, what has happened in the ensuing time period to make Paypal change this completely???

If I went into a local shop & was told that my credit card had been refused due to my bank refusing payment, I would be screaming to a banking ombudsman regarding limitations of use amounting to a form of racism against allowing payment in another country.

For Christ's sake, this is the 21st century!!!

In the EU it is supposed to be that people, goods & services aren't obstructed from one country to another.    This is blatant obstruction.

Login to Me Too

Greek_Les
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Forgot to add.

You say "a 'country specific' paypal account in another country." which implies that there are non country specific accounts, pray tell more.

Also, I don't live here, but Paypal (via the CSR) are saying that if I (or anyone else here for short duration) want to use Paypal in that country then I (we) would need to open an account in that country.

If I want to take money out from a "hole in the wall" anywhere else in the world, does my bank tell me I can't & that I need to open a bank account locally???

This is lunacy!!!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Greek_Les 

'Country specific' means you can only open and use a paypal account in the country you reside in.

'Non-specific' would mean you could use it in any country...........which you can't.

Paypal is NOT a bank and it varies a lot country to country on the services it is allowed to offer dependent on the government / banks of each country.

But sorry I took the time to respond to your thread, I shan't bother again, bye.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.