Confusing email from PayPal "Want to complete your PayPal payment at..."

icrawford1408
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen this question asked several times before without ever getting an answer, and I am very confused about it. I use my account a lot, and for the first time, I made a purchase from a website, and PayPal sent me no receipt at the time. A couple of days later, I receive an email from PayPal asking me to return to the website that I purchased from and "give your final approval". When I returned to the website, there was no way to do this. The transaction is not marked as pending or anything, the money was taken off of my card, and the seller confirmed the order, yet I never got a receipt from PayPal. Should I be worried about this?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

PayPal_Drew

Hi @icrawford1408

Thanks for reaching out to the community for advice! I can understand why this situation would be confusing. 

When reviewing the purchase on your PayPal account, do you have a completed transaction or do you just show an Order? You may need to view the details to confirm what type of transaction it is. If it's just an Order and there is no accompanying transaction with it, there may be an issue with the purchase completing. If you see a completed payment and it has your shipping details, the merchant would've received the transaction. 

My recommendation would be to reach out to the merchant to confirm they have your order. If they don't, you would want to dispute this transaction confirming you haven't received the item. You can do this directly in the details of your transaction by selecting the option that lets you report a problem.  

Thanks, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

pakleni
New Community Member

Hi...

Please de-confuse me.

The Pay-Pal e-mail states: 

Want to complete your PayPal payment at eGlobal Central(Italy)?

To finish up, go back to eGlobal Central(Italy) and give your final approval.

...and it also provides these details:  Original payment details: eGlobal Central(Italy) EUR 319.99  24 January 2020

On the other hand, Amazon.it, from where I did my purchase, gave me the following details re the item's cost (I translated from the Italian):

Basic Cost of Item:  EUR 316,31

shipping:  EUR 39,46

Total ex-VAT: EUR 355,77

VAT:  EUR 78,27

TOTAL:  EUR 434,04           

I did go back to the eGlobal Central (Italy) site, but there was nothing for me to do!

First time this happened to me.  Very confusing, also because of the differing amounts.

Please assist.

Login to Me Too

AliRobi
Contributor
Contributor
Did you ever get this fixed?? Had the same email today and very confused as not many people have had this
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @AliRobi,

It sounds like what @PayPal_Drew was talking about. If the Order was set up at the time you went through the checkout, an Authorization for the payment would have been placed on your payment method. This would appear much like a payment, which would be why it would seem to you that the payment was taken from the card. The Authorization has to be processed into an actual payment when the merchant fulfills the order, or it will expire and the funds will later be freed up on your card.

It sounds like there was some hangup with the merchant actually fulfilling the order, but it isn't showing that way on their website in their checkout. You will want to communicate with the merchant to confirm that they are fulfilling the order.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

djb200
Contributor
Contributor
Same for me, and what's even more confusing is that it is for a lesser amount than I have already paid. I also don't recognize the name is to be paid to, as it is different to the company I am purchasing off. No advice anywhere on PayPal. Very unhelpful.
Login to Me Too

Menzy
New Community Member

I have recently received both emails. The first one confirming my purchase is completed. The second asking me to "complete my purchase". Sounds fishy. I have never received an email like the 2nd one before, and I have used paypal quite a few times. I purchased a PDF, which I have received, so I am going to ignore the 2nd email and not even click on it.

Login to Me Too

davidmatos
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, confusing and unreliable.

Login to Me Too

Yatesscott
New Community Member
I’ve had the exact same “do you want to complete your purchase” email from PayPal a number of times now, probably 20-30% of purchases over the past few weeks. In every instance, the merchant had processed the order & sent a confirmation (usually just before the PayPal email) and when I did click on the link in the email the first couple of times, there was no way to complete the order on the merchants site. I can only assume there is some sort of delay between PayPal receiving confirmation of the order, and processing the payment, which triggers this automated email. Perhaps there is a 3rd party processing the payments, which introduces a delay.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.