Closing an account without providing information

IUseZelleNow
New Community Member

They asked for my social security number and ID, so I told them to go to hell. Now I want to close the account and they say they won't close it unless I provide the information. To be clear, PayPal is not a bank nor a governmental authority and they have no business asking for anything. I now use Zelle and it is a superior service. Can someone tell me how to get around the catch-22 and close the account and be rid of PayPal forever?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@IUseZelleNow 

Policies and federal laws have changed. Can't close an account if it is limited or has issues with it. PayPal is required by law to ask for this information and verify it to comply with anti-money laundering/terrorism funding laws, 1099-K tax, US Patriot Act. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@IUseZelleNow 

Policies and federal laws have changed. Can't close an account if it is limited or has issues with it. PayPal is required by law to ask for this information and verify it to comply with anti-money laundering/terrorism funding laws, 1099-K tax, US Patriot Act. 

Login to Me Too

Rizwanbabar
New Community Member

In This ways paypal doing it self money theft from thousands of accounts every year and keep asking to people provide personal information.
Paypal make their so called limitations on account and eat money that in account and there is no any way to transfer or send money without providing them information.

How paypal can ask if someone want to close his/her account?????
Why paypal can not starting services in the countries from where paypal think people making fake account.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Consider the account closed if it is limited and you can't resolve the limitation. There are various reasons why PayPal can't start business in certain countries. Banking laws or no banking partner in the country or government sanctions or disallowing PayPal to start business in their country or no license or agreement or simply because PayPal choose to do business wherever they want to do business in.

No one told any of us to put all kinds of silly money in our accounts for them to "take". Its a risk because PayPal is not a bank. Know this from the start. Things have gotten more complicated. The real world is trying to control the virtual world. Its tough all around.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.