Close Account

Sally222
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I want to close my PayPal account but I can’t find the ‘Close Account’ option in my Account Settings.

What could be the problem and how can I go about dealing with it?

I also got a notification that I can’t transact using my account because of contravention of the User Agreement. My account is new and I have barely used it. I don’t know what contravention they mean. Could this be why I can’t find the ‘Close Account’ option?

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

EggyBread
Contributor
Contributor

closed all activity. No 'active' subscriptions, all 'inactive' or cancelled.

Login to Me Too

EggyBread
Contributor
Contributor

No limitations. User since 2002, no problems. I just want to take my business elsewhere, hopefully to a company that does not delete accounts of users because of their political stance. Can you imagine if the Gas, Electric, Water and ISP companies decided to have the same approach...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EggyBread

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

C0lleen
New Community Member

My balance is 0  I don't know what would be putting a limitation on my account.

Honestly I just want to be able to use pay pal but I live in another country now and am unable to update my address or credit card. I'm told if I've move I need to close and re-open. But closing seems to be impossible. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@C0lleen

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

You are supposed to withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you leave your old country. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved.
You would need to contact customer services and if they can verify your i.d. then they may be able to close your old account for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Anntics
New Community Member

Hi, I had the same problem. I clicked on the email us link. There was a link in blue that said easily close your account. I clicked on it and it brought up a click button that said do you really want to can’t be undone etc. I clicked on that and my account was instantly closed. I confirmed this by trying to log in.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.