Close Account

Sally222
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I want to close my PayPal account but I can’t find the ‘Close Account’ option in my Account Settings.

What could be the problem and how can I go about dealing with it?

I also got a notification that I can’t transact using my account because of contravention of the User Agreement. My account is new and I have barely used it. I don’t know what contravention they mean. Could this be why I can’t find the ‘Close Account’ option?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sally222

If you Paypal account is limited then Paypal won't let you close it.

This is to stop you removing any cards etc and be tempted to open another account.

If its not limited then you click on the 'cog' icon next to log out and the close account option should be on the left side of that page.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sally222

If you Paypal account is limited then Paypal won't let you close it.

This is to stop you removing any cards etc and be tempted to open another account.

If its not limited then you click on the 'cog' icon next to log out and the close account option should be on the left side of that page.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

forb19
Contributor
Contributor
Hi dear..what if im not US resident and has opened an Account by selecting country US and adding Local addresses.
Login to Me Too

isaacalves

this service is a **bleep**ing joke.

i basically cannot use it unless I create a new email account as I cannot change my country and cannot close my account ("Sorry, there's a problem try again later")

>??

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@isaacalves 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You are supposed to withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you leave your old country. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pankaj7068
Contributor
Contributor
Close my account
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pankaj7068

STOP POSTING DUPLICATE THREADS, YOU HAVE ALREADY BEEN TOLD HOW TO CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT.

You need to do it yourself.

To close your PayPal account:

1. Go to   Settings....cog icon next to log out.
  2. In the 'Account options' section, click Close your account and follow the instructions.

Paypal may ask you to confirm ownership of the account before it can be closed.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JMinSF
Contributor
Contributor

I'm told, following the usual procedure, that I can't close my PalPal account because I have PayPal credit and must send an email. I click the link to send an email and am sent to the generic Help page, with no information about how to send an email.

Can anyone help me to close this account, once and for all?

Login to Me Too

EggyBread
Contributor
Contributor

**bleep**ing pain in the **bleep**. I have a balance of zero, bank details cleared. I still do not have 'Close Account' on my Settings page. They must do it on purpose. Why not always have 'Close Account' visible and if someone clicks it without clearing everything first, then tell them exactly what is wrong and what to do. It is not rocket science.. FFS....

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EggyBread

Is your account limited in any way?

Have you cancelled all / any subscriptions?.....

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.