Changing from 'Personal' account to a 'Not for Profit'

Cat_Campbell32
New Community Member

Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone can help. I am part of a local not-for profit organisation which don't have charity status. Our treasurer has set up a PayPal but it is in his name rather than the groups name. We've all agreed it would be better to have the group name appear when people make donations. Is this easy to change? Would we need a business account?

I did read an article that suggested changing to a not for profit but the items of 'evidence' required wouldn't be available for just a not for profit only a charity i.e. a tax exemption? 

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @Cat_Campbell32,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

If you want that the Group name shows when people make donations, you will need to upgrade the account to a business account. Then, you can choose a business name. Even if you are not registered as a charity, if you have a tax exemption document, we may still be able to accept it. If not, your best option is to choose 'Sole Trader' after upgrading the account to Business. 

I hope this helps.

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.