Changing country (keeping email address)

Jay200
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone. Apologies if this has already been answered before. It is a bit tricky situation so please bear with me. First of all, I understand PayPal is country specific, that I already found out.

I moved from Europe to Canada couple years ago, still using European PayPal account where, among my EU cards+bank account I have my Canadian credit card linked. However, I can't link Canadian bank account to it so I had to create second - Canadian - PayPal account just to withdraw my PayPal balance to CA bank account. Which is driving me nuts...

There's even a fee to pay to transfer money between my 2 accounts.

What I'd like to do here is to keep my email address that I log into EU PayPal account with (this is really important for me) but using it on CA account that has been created using different email address. Does that make sense at all? Imagine it's possible to change nationality within your (ONE and ONLY) PayPal account. But what a utopian world I'm living in, right? That's what I'm trying to achieve it the way that's legal - creating account in other country. Which I already did.

I don't need to keep all the payment records. Having them in single PDF file is good enough for me. I know, why won't I just close the EU account and keep CA one as is. Because that one has different email address that I simply can't use.

What would you guys recommend? Should I just close my EU PP account (remove cards there, etc.)  with the email address it is registered on and then add this very same 'EU" email address I want to keep linked to 'CA' account and make it my primary address, then remove the 'wrong' mail address afterwards? Is that possible at all?

Another question - will I be able to add my Canadian credit card to Canadian PP even though it was linked to EU account before? Don't want to close the EU account and find out that I can't add the CA credit card (that once was added and seen by PayPal in another account) anymore, nor reopen the EU account.

Thanks everyone for getting through the whole post. Appreciate that even if you can't help 🙂 Cheers!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jay200 

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / bank accounts / cards from within that country.

You should really withdraw any funds / resolve issues / remove cards and bank accounts before you move countries. If you don't then you may have problems doing so once you have moved and may need to contact customer services for help to resolve things.

There are some exceptions as some bank accounts can be linked to specific Paypal accounts in some countries.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jay200
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @kernowlass 

yeah, that's exactly what I did. Opened account in the country I moved in. Although my question was, is there any way I can have an account in new country under the email address (login) I used on my old account?

The old account is not yet closed but once it is, I want to be sure I can 're-use' this old email since there's no coming back with account that was closed.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jay200 

Paypal does state that once you CLOSE an account you can re-use that email address BUT there have been some posters that have been unable to do so, so there is not a 100% guarantee that you will be able to.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.