Changing address between European Union countries

user1842
New Community Member

PayPal does not allow a European account holder to change their address to another European Union (EU) country. An German account holder, if they move to Spain cannot change their address to Spain. They have to close their Germany PayPal account and open a Spanish account.

I hope PayPal is aware that this practice is totally against the spirit of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) and the EU legislation that underpins it ( Regulation EU No 260/2012 and Directive EU 2015/2366 - PSD2).

The legal framework, for payments, in the EU is now the same across all EU countries  and there should full freedom of movement of capital. I'm sure PayPal knows this fact well as it is registered in Luxembourg and makes full use of the EU's passporting rules.

I would suggest that PayPal correct this oversight and treat the EU as one market for payment services.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@user1842

Paypal is country specific so if you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

Paypal is not a bank and can only offer services on a country to country basis based on what the government and banks of each country allow them.

That is why different countries have different policies and services available.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.