Catch 22 - how does someone manage to take over your account?

riette53
New Community Member

Someone managed to take over my account about ten days ago, changing my address and telephone number to his, making himself a Preferred Customer so he could pay himself using my money, and creating an Uber account which he used numerous times. Thankfully my bank alerted my pretty promptly and - long story - I managed to get all the money back. How in heaven's name can this happen? I thought PayPal was so secure?

Next thing I get an email saying I'd made an eCheque payment for something or another (I have no idea what, and it certainly wasn't me), so now I have the guy's name, address, telephone number and even email.

My bank has been great - they blocked my account and sent me a new card, but next thing I see someone has set up a Direct Debit on my bank account to pay PayPal. This despite me changing my password and security questions several times last week.

I can now not access my bank account (they have blocked it until I can get things sorted out with PayPal) and of course I can't get hold of anyone there to help me. I just want to close my PayPal account, but can't do it because there are ongoing disputes on it.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.