Cannot log in to Paypal from Ebay checkout

technobuyer
Contributor
Contributor

When I go to the ebay checkout page, I click on to pay via Paypal. It then opens up a mini dialog for me to log into to Paypal. I enter my login credentials into the box, the dialog dismisses and the ebay page shows progress as if it's updating but once that finishes, it hasn't logged into the paypal at all. None of the payment options are selected. If I try to click on Paypal again, it again takes me to the login page. Does anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

WebSnail
Contributor
Contributor

Turning off 2FA isn't the overall fix or necessary... and as noted elsewhere isn't recommended either.

The solution I posted up here:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Payments/eBay-Checkout-with-PayPal-fails-Fix-Workaround/m-p/1860...

... resolves the issue and does work repeatedly...

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

feirce
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure what is going on but when i've had similar issues i have just logged out of eBay and logged back in and that sorted it. Hope it helps you.

Login to Me Too

technobuyer
Contributor
Contributor

@feirce  I have just tried this but it did not work.

Login to Me Too

feirce
Contributor
Contributor

That's a shame.

Have you asked in the eBay community if anyone else is having the same issue? That's the only other thing i can think of to help.

Login to Me Too

technobuyer
Contributor
Contributor

@feirce  thanks for the post, yes I had posted on ebay community (https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Payment-Topics/Cannot-log-in-to-Paypal-from-Ebay-checkout/m-p/635597...) but didn't see the most recent updates on there. Turns out someone raised what the issue might be, which is if you have 2FA (2 factor authentication) enabled on Paypal then the Paypal login from eBay won't work. It works okay if you haven't got 2FA enabled. I wasn't keen on permanently turning of 2FA but turns out if you disable 2FA and then login to paypal from ebay, then there's an option to let ebay remember the paypal login. You can then turn 2FA back on within Paypal but ebay still remembers that it's logged into Paypal so all seems okay.

Really think ebay need to fix this though, so it supports Paypal login with 2FA enabled.

Thanks for the help everyone 😄

Login to Me Too

DeadNormal
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same problem second time in a row. The first time I think it helped to clear the cache and the cookies, but it's not doing anything now. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: Tried different browsers, switching between normal and private tabs, disabling extensions — no luck.

Login to Me Too
Solved

WebSnail
Contributor
Contributor

Turning off 2FA isn't the overall fix or necessary... and as noted elsewhere isn't recommended either.

The solution I posted up here:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Payments/eBay-Checkout-with-PayPal-fails-Fix-Workaround/m-p/1860...

... resolves the issue and does work repeatedly...

Login to Me Too

technobuyer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification and the proper work around. I've marked yours as the solution 🙂

Login to Me Too

Fordcollector
New Community Member

None of these "temp fixes" actually work.

Clearing "cookies" and "cache" doesn't do it either.

I think it is time for e-bay and or pay-pal to take the time with the tech department(s) to come up with a repair for this issue.

Going thru an Android phone there isn't an issue.

Tired of the pay-pal spinning wheel of death, just fix it properly.

Login to Me Too

noahsch
New Community Member

Had same prob,  switched to firefox browser and was able to log-in.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.