Cancelling an old PayPal account - how can that be done?

woodeaglevigil
Contributor
Contributor

Does one know how PayPal can cancel an old account that I had with them?  Initially, I was just wanting to update my contact information on this old account with them.  However, I could never get passed the login screen and when I tried to reset my password for it, I would get a message saying that it needed to send a verification message/code to my phone number.  However, the phone number it was showing was my old landline home phone number that I have not had for two years now.  So, then I tried to call PayPal to make these changes and all I kept on getting was the computer and not a live person and the computer kept me on a constant loop of steps to try (which I had tried all of those and kept on getting to a stopping block with each one).

I first was wanting to update my e-mail address with them.  Then, with the phone issues above, I was wanting to update my phone number with them (to change it from the old landline home number to my mobile number).  Because of all of the issues I was having above and not being able to make these changes, I just created a new account/profile for myself on PayPal with my current information.  Now, I just want to cancel my old account (that had the old e-mail and home phone number on it) with them. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

lizsammyo
Contributor
Contributor

i dont know what to do my old number is different, i cannot get into my old account because it asks the 2nd verification. i can get into email but phone has changed

i cant email them because i cant log in

i hate paypal

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@woodeaglevigil 

Landline number? That shouldn't be unless you have it labeled as "Mobile" and have the sms texting options for that number enabled in the settings. Getting a live agent can be difficult during the Covid-19 situation as companies are trying to transition customer service reps to work from home. The concern for me is employees accessing the PayPal server through their home internet set up. That is not secure. It has to be enterprise/industry grade connection.

If it is not urgent, might be best to wait until PayPal announces that their live agents services are back open. Because if you can't log in then you can't message them. Normally, you just call by using the Guest option through the help center.

You can try to contact them through social media:

Facebook (Worldwide): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter (Worldwide): @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lizsammyo
Contributor
Contributor

the phone is non working they are not avaiable 

what are people supposed to do if they cant get their impact payment?

they are just supposed to wait?

for as big as paypal is 

they are not better equipped for emergency/disasters

Login to Me Too

woodeaglevigil
Contributor
Contributor

I mention landline number because when I first tried to login (under my old account information), I could not remember my password.  So, I started the resetting the password process, typed in the old e-mail, clicked next, and then it gave me a message that it was going to contact my by the following number to send me a verification code/message.  The number it was showing was my old landline number that my mom and I have not had since at least late February 2019 (if not before that).  So, that put a halt on the resetting the password process.

I am in the process of changing all of my online accounts and profiles as my mom is planning to change our internet service provider and the primary e-mail I have used since the fall of 2006 will no longer work for me (as it was an e-mail account tied directly in with that internet service provider) once this change is made.  I have created myself a new e-mail account on Google.

I was getting no where no matter which direction I went to try to make these changes (on Facebook via messenger, calling PayPal, looking for other ways to do this via the PayPal Help Center, etc.) as each direction kept on telling me to login to make the changes and I could not do that because I could not remember my password.  Hence, the constant no progress loop.  I rarely use PayPal anyway, but I was just want to update my profile.  I ended up creating a new account/profile on PayPal (with my new e-mail and mobile phone number) and now want to delete my old account (that has my outgoing old e-mail and old, non-existent landline phone number on it).  As you can see, I am one that rarely make changes to my contact information until I am forced to do so. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.