Can't sign in or recover password because of old phone number

ridartech
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! I discovered that I have an old paypal account (that was linked to my ebay account) and an ebay purchase was refunded to there, I need to access the account. I can't sign in because I changed my phone number years ago (2014), I don't remember my password so I can't verify and get a new password. I can only verify my old email. Thank you 🙂

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

jpcastel82
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @ridartech
Thanks for reaching the Community for this concern.

Just go www.paypal.com then click "login." Click "having trouble logging in." Then enter the email address you use for PayPal and click Next. Finally, select how you want to recover your password and click Next. (You'll be shown some options such as Receive a textreceive an email, answer your security questions or have us call you.)

If you select the email option, we will send you an email to the primary email address on your PayPal account, then you just need to click on the link you find there to change your password.

Hope that helps. Stay safe always.

Login to Me Too

ridartech
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, thank you for answering. 🙂 I've already tried that many times and always after I had the code from my email it says "One more security check" and appears my old number as the only option. This number has been out of usage since 2014 or 2015. I've tried to talk with an agent and it's never possible. I've tried everything on resolution center as well. It always asks for a double verification check with my old number as the only option.

<removed>

Login to Me Too

Cat2Guns
Contributor
Contributor
Wow - same issue with me. Old account tied to old job, has been deactivated at old job and my phone is old. No way to recover and I can’t get anyone on the phone at PayPal. It is beyond frustrating. They need to supply a way to have someone actually help you. I am so tired of this! My husband sent me money and sent it to the old email and I can’t get to it and PayPal won’t let him dispute it. We are being held hostage by PayPal not letting me into my own flipping account and there is ZERO help from them. I am disgusted. I guess if enough people have the issue a class action lawsuit would be good if we can’t access our own accounts.
Login to Me Too

ridartech
Contributor
Contributor

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cat2Guns 

@ridartech 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option several times.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pointless2020
Contributor
Contributor

totally useless reply! paypal won't let you in without phone number verification no matter HOW MANY TIMES you change the password. as you have set yourself up as an unpaid paypal helper, suggest you look into how paypal security is now set up. the same to any helpers who suggest using the paypel messaging system without logging in - you cannot use the chat without logging in, you cannot log in without a phone number verification!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pointless2020 

Yes you CAN phone customer services without logging in, you select the GUEST option...try reading it helps.

And you can often use live chat without logging in + sometimes message.

And many of those options HAVE worked for users on here as they have posted back their thanks.

And yes i am an 'unpaid' helper as this is a 'user to user' help forum, if you don't want to give or receive help then what are you doing on here?

And I post a lot at the moment to 'try' and help as there is very little customer services at the moment.

Since posted that information I have updated it in other places with 2 more options for logging on if you have an old phone on your account....again many have confirmed they have worked.

But if my advice is 'useless' then feel free to post an answer yourself? Or are  you just a ranter that likes having a pop at those 'trying' to help???

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.