Can't Log in, Don't Have Access Old Phone Number, Verifcation Code: No PayPal Employees COVID-19

thrivingproject
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

After having an eBay buyer send money to my PayPal account, which I have had (and was created when I made my eBay account) for over 10 years, and when I went to log in to the account I was prompted with this: 

Untitled.png

The issue is that I don't have this phone number anymore, and I know my account email and password, but PayPal has offered me no way to access my account and funds or even ask for help. I can't post a question to the community on the account becuase you have to log in to do so, so I had to create this account just to ask this question. Also, PayPal's phone line is down because they are not employing their staff right now due to COVID-19; likewise, their Facebook Messenger chat with agent feature is inaccessible.

The "Having trouble logging in?" button is a trap that when clicked on directs me to a new page that prompts me with this: Untitled2.png

Apparently, PayPal is not going to let me log in unless I get this old phone number back, and they don't have the ability to allow me into my account to utilize my funds. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

ramberroya
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi, Hope everthing is doing well. I understand your concern and thank you for contacting community forum. To gain access your account you have to enter your primary email adderess and need to make sure you have access to it. You can click the link in order to reset your password. If you can no longer access the primary email, you may consider creating a brand new paypal account using a different email address. Please click the link how to reset password. https://www.paypal.com/ph/smarthelp/article/i-forgot-my-paypal-password.-how-do-i-reset-it-faq1933?a... Hope this will help resolve the issue. Thank you,
Login to Me Too

thrivingproject
Contributor
Contributor

This does not help, because I already know my email and password, so why would I reset my password? Also, I already did reset my password, and that didn't solve the issue. The issue is that I don't have access to the phone number that the authorization code which is needed to verify my login is being sent to. 

Login to Me Too

ASH123456
New Community Member

Has anyone found a solution for this?  I am in the same situation.  I just want access to my money...

Login to Me Too

sdk830
Contributor
Contributor

Well ramberroya,

I suggest you read the question. If I wanted to reset my password I would. I do not have access to my old phone number. Have you got that? Do I have to spell it out? I cannot do your wretched verifification because I have my email and password, but not the phone number. It is impossible at the moment to contact you, and I have my expences to do. If you want to answer another question, or don't know the answer, please don't waste my time with the wrong answer. Clear?
Now, does anyone know, not guess, how to remedy this kafka-eske situation. Just buy our data from paypal et al like everone else does, I guess.
Login to Me Too

Trisjack20
Contributor
Contributor

This does NOT resolve the issue it allows you to change the password but then when you login with your password (which you never forgot by the way) it asks to authenticate using your old and now gone phone number.

Please create a way that someone can authenticate themselves without their phone number so that they can update their phone number.

Really this huge and very profitable company should not be having a problem this basic.

Trisjack20

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Trisjack20 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option several times.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Trisjack20
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. In the end the only thing that worked was to phone call in and have them ID me on the call with my bank details and then change the phone number directly there. Thank you for your response. trisjack
Login to Me Too

elleinnad

What number did you use please to contact them via phone? I've been unable to find anything elsewhere to help and I'm having exactly the same problem!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.