Can I have a business account without a business?

Nicole962
Contributor
Contributor

So, I currently have a personal account, but of course I need to have my real name on there, but I don't want others to see my real name, so I was wondering if it were possible to have a business account without a business? And there's no option to have it as a "individual" one either.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nicole962 

Yes, select "Individual" as the business type.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Nicole962
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker  There's no option for that

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nicole962

If you're upgrading from personal account to business, there should be a field called "Business Type" in the process and you select "Individual" as opposed to Sole Proprietor, Corporation, Partnership, Non-Profit, etc. Or may be they've combined Individual and Sole Proprietor like in the link below.

https://i.postimg.cc/zDWr43KH/paypalbiz3.jpg

Or try opening a separate business account and see if that Business Type field shows up.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/account-selection

Login to Me Too

Nicole962
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker  I still don't see any options

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nicole962 

Did you try just opening a new business PayPal account? When upgrading, is it asking you for Business Name, Business Details, Business Address, etc?

Or perhaps its a thing where after you upgrade, you have to go in to your business information settings to update that "Business type" field:

Account Settings (gear icon) > About the Business > Business Information > Update > Edit (near your business photo/avatar > Business Type > Individual or Sole Proprietor

Login to Me Too

Nicole962
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

It's asking for legal name, business name, business phone number business address, and then create account

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nicole962 

If you want to open a new business account, then do that, or upgrade and then when account is established go into the business information settings and select your business type. That's the only way to do it, if PayPal is not displaying that step in the sign up or the upgrade process.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.