Business account for Uganda

Benjamyne
Contributor
Contributor

I've wanted a business account for so long but PayPal only offers individual accounts that can only send.
I visited paypal.com yesterday and it defaulted to paypal.com/ug as usual. But I noticed a link on the page
saying 'Have a business? Open a business merchant account.'

Now this was an exciting development for me, or so I thought.
I followed it and logged in to try and set it up. Since I was at work I could not complete the process and
planned to do that later. But when I came back I could not find it on the home page.

So, are business merchant accounts now available to Uganda?

My account became a business account after I followed a link to upgrade it form personal.
I had not realized that the service this was not available to Uganda. I had searched looking for a way to change
the account into a business account. I found that link and ended up with a business account without the functionality.
Then last year I noticed that certain menu options had changed as if the functionality had been added.

I generally ignored it not expecting them to work. And just kept checking the home page praying and hoping that
someday these services would be extended to Uganda. For example, the business profile set up page under account
settings would just show a blank screen. But nowadays I see several settings like adding a bank account,
merchant details, invoicing, shipping, website payments among others.

So, have things changed? Do we now have business accounts for Uganda?
I want to use PayPal for eCommerce. I see many potential buyers abandon the cart at checkout on my Shopify store.
The only cause I can think of is the unfamiliar payment gateway I'm currently using.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Benjamyne 

The option to 'receive' paypal payments is sadly not available in your country.
You can only 'send' payments for purchases.

Click on the link below and select the country you want from the drop down list for options available in that country.
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Benjamyne 

The option to 'receive' paypal payments is sadly not available in your country.
You can only 'send' payments for purchases.

Click on the link below and select the country you want from the drop down list for options available in that country.
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.