Anyone else being asked to "Confirm your info"

smcusername
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else getting this?  

I keep getting this email from Paypal to confirm my info:
===
"To continue sending or spending money directly from your PayPal balance, we'll need a bit more information from you so we can confirm your identity.
This is one of the ways we help keep your account secure and support regulations that fight money laundering and fraud.
Getting started is easy, and you'll only have to do it once. Here's what you need to do:
1. Click the Confirm Your Info button below or just log into your PayPal Business account.
2. Click the Notifications icon at the top of the page.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions."
===
Clicking through PP is asking for my Social Security number and birthdate.
NO WAY I am giving them this info. I don't send and receive all that much money right now. That may change in the future. What options do I have?

I've been using PP for years and have never had this happen before.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

mkivtt
Contributor
Contributor

I just got this as well. At first they just asked for my name, last 4 digits of SSN. Then on the next page they suddenly ask me to upload documents with my address, tax information, photo ID... yeah, I don't think so.

I sent them an email but am not expecting much of anything back.  Absolutely absurd. I've had this account for what, 8 years? And I've used it for maybe 50-200$ of transactions a year, mainly random Ebay selling and buying. I guess that'll be a thing of the past because I sure am not providing them this absurd information. My online bank accounts work just fine with just providing my personal data and SSN. Never once have they asked me for any of these things, but somehow Paypal needs them? GTFO.

Login to Me Too

Morales814
New Community Member
I thought it was a joke when I got mine through the app. Since I already verified my info two before with them. This is the third time they requested my info. And this is bs and needs to stop. They are paid for a service with fee’s they charge they are not my bank and they should not have the right to hold your money. But they are located in CA. It’s a different freaking world there. Control is all they want.
Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@smcusername@mkivtt@roymis50@LowCountryGA@johndd

so I just got off the phone with an official PayPal support member (phone number obtained from official PayPal site itself), and they said that the email I received was legitimate and that they (PayPal) are now required to comply with some sort of regulation to verify its user's identity. the women I was speaking to stated that if possible, I may be able to simply verify my identity over the phone, however, then we immediately ran into a roadblock when my SSN number (last four digits) did not match what they claim to have on their database, so therefore I would be "required" to submit a photo of my card through the verification page. however, she said that PayPal did indeed receive my first piece of identification, and that it was accepted.

I do not know what I think now, since the "need" to verify my information seems legitimate, but know I am sketched out at the fact that my SSN number was not matching up with they system, even as I had my account pulled up in real time with a different set of numbers.

Login to Me Too

LowCountryGA
Contributor
Contributor

Again, pathetic attempts to implement a new policy about which PayPal reps clearly know nothing.

Thankfully, eBay is implementing a site-based payment system that eliminates the need for PayPal.  I used it last night, and will be using that from now on:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/31/ebay-replace-paypal-main-payment/

However, eBay does seem to be requiring SSNs rather than EINs from Sellers, so that doesn't really help.  Will have to watch eBay closely through the transition.  Still, doesn't change the fact that PayPal is absolutely inept, and, as one Seller stated, provides "The most unprofessional business conduct I've ever witnessed in my 30+ years working within the financial industry."

https://tamebay.com/2018/03/the-new-ebay-payments-system-with-adyen-will-disburse-money-directly-to-...

Login to Me Too

Santymania
New Community Member
I uploaded my passport 2 months ago. And they said they will lift account limitation within 2-3 days. But until now... nothing. I still got the same message when I click the notification for identity confirmation. I cant seem to contact paypal, there are no options for this matter and when I tried other option. They only send me automated email. This is so frustrating!! I have been using paypal for over 10 years!
Login to Me Too

Temp20230206
Contributor
Contributor

Not only have the slimebuckets over at PayPal demanded additional information from me in the meantime they have 'conveniently' and effectively stolen $139 of my money, holding it ransom until I agree to their terms (which I never will).

So now I've had it. I am going to take PayPal to small claims court where I live and demand the money that is in my PayPal account be transferred to my bank account.

Anyone else who has been effectively robbed by PayPal, I suggest you do the same. 

Note to PayPal: from now on all my online purchases will go through my credit card and never again will I use your crappy service.

You unethical slimy **bleep**.

Login to Me Too

nurd60
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same notification and did upload my DL photo. But an SSN is not to be used for identification purposes (this is FEDERAL LAW) so I won't be doing that. Besides I have no idea where my original card is ATM.

Login to Me Too

Samnorah
Contributor
Contributor

FOR WEEKS NOW!!! I've uploaded all the relevant information and still nothing. I will be withdrawing my funds and never using PayPal again once they remove the limitation. I've provided well beyond the required information. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhan2

Hi Samnorah, 

Thank you for contacting the PayPal Community Forum. 

If you still need assistance regarding a limitation on your PayPal account please reach out to us by phone, email, Facebook or Twitter. As this is a Community Forum, we have no access to your PayPal account and you will need to contact customer support. 

- Siobhan 

Login to Me Too

Iceyspicy
Contributor
Contributor
The same thing is happening to me! I have $25 waiting for me in my account and it won't let me acess it until I give me ssn. I'm an artist and paypal is the main way I get money sent to me. I'm not sure what to do, as I don't want to give out my ssn, but I need that money.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.