Anyone else being asked to "Confirm your info"

smcusername
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else getting this?  

I keep getting this email from Paypal to confirm my info:
===
"To continue sending or spending money directly from your PayPal balance, we'll need a bit more information from you so we can confirm your identity.
This is one of the ways we help keep your account secure and support regulations that fight money laundering and fraud.
Getting started is easy, and you'll only have to do it once. Here's what you need to do:
1. Click the Confirm Your Info button below or just log into your PayPal Business account.
2. Click the Notifications icon at the top of the page.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions."
===
Clicking through PP is asking for my Social Security number and birthdate.
NO WAY I am giving them this info. I don't send and receive all that much money right now. That may change in the future. What options do I have?

I've been using PP for years and have never had this happen before.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

johndd
New Community Member

I got the same email several times, as recently as ten minutes ago. When I first got it, I called paypal and was told I had to upload documents with my legal business name on them. I explained that I don't have a legal business, although my pp account is setup as a business account and has been for two years without this request for docs. The csr told me to simply write something describing what I do, which I did, explaining that I do freelance work and use pp to collect from that.

I continue to get these emails asking for 'legal' name documents, like a bank statement, etc, which I do not have.

I was unable to use pp to pay for something online a few days ago. I transferred all funds into my bank, which was processed quickly without any delay or glitch.

Not sure how to proceed from here. I'll continue to collect funds via pp on my website but will likely transfer all to my bank account until I can get clear answers, which don't appear to be forthcoming.

john

Login to Me Too

smcusername
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that reply. It's inconvenient to not be able to use PP to pay for purchases, if they wind up restricting that on my account. But it's not the end of the world. Their loss since they'll lose the fees.

As long as I can still collect payments, I guess that's enough.

Thanks again.

smc

Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@smcusername did your email look something like this: <removed>

Login to Me Too

redcajundj
Contributor
Contributor
I hot this in a text message and wonder if it is legit Hello Client Dana Johnston, Payments made to your account is on pending IDPP-984-931 Follow the instructions: https://paypalweb.ipdui.com
Login to Me Too

Kylaaxx
I can’t withdrawal my money out of my Pp to my bank! My account is doing the same thing I’ve lost so much because of it!
Login to Me Too

LowCountryGA
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I received it too.  This email from PayPal violates everything they have said & continue to say about secure communication.  It looks like a phishing email, but really is from PayPal.  I'm on hold w/ their service center now & the auto-voice is talking about NOT responding to suspicious emails. lol.  Here's what they say about phishing:

"One way to protect yourself is to use caution when you’re online. For instance, be especially careful about clicking on links within emails. Fraudsters often develop official-looking emails with links that supposedly lead to a familiar website. They do this in an effort to get you to share personal information.

Reliable institutions won’t ask you to share sensitive personal information this way, so don’t open any attachments or click on any links. If you receive one of these spoof emails from someone pretending to be PayPal, report it by forwarding the email to spoof@paypal.com and we'll investigate it for you."

Hmm...so PayPal has flipped the script & sent their own phishing email w/ a link in it!  Plus they really are asking for Social Security #s.  Absolutely asinine decision by someone at PayPal.  Many of us have been verified users for years, and now this.  Really thoughtless move by PayPal.

I agree with the person who said that this is PayPals loss.

Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

To answer the most broad question, yes, I have been sent the same bogus email and wonder what has happened to PayPal and why there are suddenly changing their tune....

Login to Me Too

roymis50
New Community Member

I received the email in question and sent it to "spoof@paypal.com" to determine its validity. PayPal responded saying that it was a phishing email and that I should deleted it immediately and not click on any links. 

That being said, when I logged into my PayPal account, I received a similar message in "Notifications", basically asking for the same info requested in the "phishing" email.  As a result, I'm now more confused than I was before I heard back from PayPal support.  Now I don't trust the links in my "Notification Center" especially since I'm being asked to verify info that PayPal has had on file for years.  

Login to Me Too

aylaaktan
Contributor
Contributor

@roymis50 that is incredibly concerning and makes my trust with PayPal just deteriorate even more than it already has.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.