Any problems removing landline number from account?

binaryboy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm planning to cancel my landline home phone and using mobile exclusively.  Will there be any problems resulting from removing the landline number from my PayPal account and leaving just the mobile number for both home and mobile?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Peggie99
Contributor
Contributor

Depends what country you're in. 

I got paid via PayPal - and wanted to add a bank account so that I could receive the funds.  Before I could do that, the website needed to verify my identity. I had two phone numbers registered on my account - a landline and a cel phone. The cel phone was primary - and verified some time ago.
However, PayPal would only give me the option to verify my identity via the landline, my non-primary phone number. I removed the landline from my account... and when I tried verifying my identity online again, the next screen just said "we couldn't verify your identity. Call XXXXXXXX".

This, despite having a previously verified cel phone, previously verified email address - successfully send/receiving funds via the same credit card for years, and being a PayPal account holder since 2005.  I phoned PayPal - even spoke to a supervisor - but because the "system wouldn't let them", they could not make any changes to my account, and they had no other method of verifying my identity.  PaylPal even suggested I send/the sender take the money back and get paid in some other way (there's no other way to get paid from this company), so as to avoid responsibility for the problem. 

Apparently if you live in CANADA, PayPal treats you like a second class citizen; landline phone calls are the only way to verify your identity for certain functions - like getting paid. In the US, you have the option of adding your birthdate, SIN, etc, to your account... I don't have those options/fields. 
I was told to try again in 48 hours - no explanation for why there would be a delay, or even why Canadian citizens aren't granted additional verification methods.  Read the threads about people sending in multiple documents repeatedly, and going round in circles with PayPal failing to verify their identities for months or years... If there was some other way I could either get paid or purchase things online, I'd be using that. 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Peggie99
Contributor
Contributor

Depends what country you're in. 

I got paid via PayPal - and wanted to add a bank account so that I could receive the funds.  Before I could do that, the website needed to verify my identity. I had two phone numbers registered on my account - a landline and a cel phone. The cel phone was primary - and verified some time ago.
However, PayPal would only give me the option to verify my identity via the landline, my non-primary phone number. I removed the landline from my account... and when I tried verifying my identity online again, the next screen just said "we couldn't verify your identity. Call XXXXXXXX".

This, despite having a previously verified cel phone, previously verified email address - successfully send/receiving funds via the same credit card for years, and being a PayPal account holder since 2005.  I phoned PayPal - even spoke to a supervisor - but because the "system wouldn't let them", they could not make any changes to my account, and they had no other method of verifying my identity.  PaylPal even suggested I send/the sender take the money back and get paid in some other way (there's no other way to get paid from this company), so as to avoid responsibility for the problem. 

Apparently if you live in CANADA, PayPal treats you like a second class citizen; landline phone calls are the only way to verify your identity for certain functions - like getting paid. In the US, you have the option of adding your birthdate, SIN, etc, to your account... I don't have those options/fields. 
I was told to try again in 48 hours - no explanation for why there would be a delay, or even why Canadian citizens aren't granted additional verification methods.  Read the threads about people sending in multiple documents repeatedly, and going round in circles with PayPal failing to verify their identities for months or years... If there was some other way I could either get paid or purchase things online, I'd be using that. 

Login to Me Too

binaryboy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I'm in the US so hopefully there will be fewer problems.  I don't want to pay for an unused landline.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.