Age requirement for individual accounts

dharmapunk
New Community Member

Hi 

can teenagers open an individual account or is the only option a student account under a parent's account?

Thanks !

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

snowshoe
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Age 18 is the legal limit.  Under age 18, you need your parents assistance.  Note, this not PayPal just being mean.

When you open a PayPal account, you are agreeing to a binding legal contract.  Before an individual can enter into a binding legal agreement known as a contract, he or she must meet the legal contract age. The legal contract age is also referred to as the age of majority, which is 18 years old in most jurisdictions.

Minors usually cannot enter into a legally binding agreement such as a contract because they are not old enough to be held accountable for their actions. if such an instance occurs wherein a party of legal contract age enters into a legally binding agreement with one who is not of legal contract age, the latter may void the agreement in the event that the terms and conditions cannot be fulfilled by him or her. However, if the party of legal contract age commits a contract breach, he or she can be held accountable to the minor who entered into the agreement with him or her.

Login to Me Too

FrancoBeshyWAP
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Let me clarify couple of things here. According to PayPal user agreement policy is that you are not allowed to have a PayPal account if you are under 18. 

even with your parents assistance and permission PayPal will still not allow a minor to have a PayPal account. Please edit your post as not to confused other people. Thanks ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrancoBeshyWAP

That post by @snowshoe was FIVE YEARS ago when student accounts in the U.S were allowed.

I doubt they can edit their post as the edit option disappears after 24 hours let alone 5 years.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.