After many years all of a sudden I need to verify my ID ... ?!

Bzguy
New Community Member

Since many years I'm a PayPal customer, as PayPal can see in my transactions list I'm a very loyal customer.
However, I received an email saying that -all of a sudden- I have to justify my identity, I need to upload a scan of my ID card, my address etc ...

Hello PayPal, are you serious ? And now it takes 2-4 working days and until then my account is "temporarily limited" ?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

AnnabellaW
Contributor
Contributor

Same here! To say I'm outraged is an understatement. I am currently setting up a new business web page requiring a pay pal button, & also happened to make two personal $19.95 purchases at an online store within 10 minutes and BAM account restricted! Need to send in copies of my ID to verify my identity to get account restored! While I appreciate paypal wishing to keep me safe - these measures are completely OTT.  Recently my bank noticed possibly fraudulent activity on my credit card, so what did they do? Sent me an sms asking me to contact them via the usual number, ask for fraud dept & issue sorted immediately, no drama. Whose great idea was this to force customers to jump through these ridiculous hoops paypal? I am not comfortable sending copies of my ID to anyone on line but my attempts to inform paypal of this send me around in a loop - although of course I have logged into my account to do so but still need to prove I am not an imposter!! WTF?  This is red tape overload, too intrusive on privacy & needs to be sorted out.  All the stress aside, it only serves to make me nervous about using pay pal to buy online in case my business account is impacted.

Login to Me Too

Bzguy
New Community Member

I agree, this is getting a bit ridiculous, and not very discrete either. As far as I know, PayPal is a private business and should not ask for ID, or address justification ...

So now my account is blocked for 2-4 business days, so that means they force me to go elsewhere, to just use my Visa card, which offers nowadays the same kind of protection.

I suspect I have the issue because I opened a claim for a seller me not delivering the goods that I ordered ...

Login to Me Too

AnnabellaW
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely not the way to treat loyal customers. Ever heard of security questions Pay Pal??!!

Login to Me Too

Bzguy
New Community Member

Or 2 factor authentication ...

Login to Me Too

AnnabellaW
Contributor
Contributor

There certainly seems to be something fishy going on here with demands for copies of ID from customers who are actually LOGGED IN TO THEIR ACCOUNTS. Perhaps they have been hacked? Have they lost our details?  Pay Pal representatives must monitor this forum - how about showing some respect for your clients and come clean on this please Pay Pal? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.