Adding a Non-UK Mobile Phone number

see205
New Community Member

Hi everyone,

I am currently living abroad, but i keep being asked for a security code to be sent to my UK phone number when i try to log in from say a work computer.

I now keep trying to change my telephone number to a mobile number from another EU country, however it keeps saying the phone number is invalid.

Has anyone ever managed to change a phone number to a foreign mobile number?

Thanks 

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

MichaelW
Contributor
Contributor
Have been trying to sort this problem out for the last year. Have contacted support numerous times but just get the bog standard response. Obviously the support centre dont read messages because the response I keep getting back has nothing to do with this foreign mobile number issue. Sorry to say I am now sick and tired of asking this problem and seriously considering closing my account and using something else. Would suggest others do the same. Support, what support?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi @MichaelW , this sounds frustrating. From your message it sounds like you are experiencing issues with trying to add a phone number from outside of the UK. This is not possible I am afraid, we will be sure to pass your feedback to the relevant team however at this time PayPal is country specific when it comes to phone numbers. 

You also may be running into issues with security checks, is this the case? Can I ask if you are trying to use your account from outside of the UK at this time?

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

MichaelW
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Siobhan Yes your correct. It appears to me that if you are a UK National born and bred in UK but now living outside the UK you will have problems with a UK Paypal account. Making payments, telephone numbers and security issues constantly cause problems. I wouldnt mind but the bank account attached to my UK paypal account is a UK bank account. Regards Mick
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

I understand @MichaelW , if you are trying to access the account here is the best number to phone for help from outside of the UK, 00351 436 9004. If you are now living in another country then we would suggest opening an account where you now reside to avoid issues like this using PayPal going forward. The phone number issue I am afraid is not something we can override. 

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

MichaelW
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Siobhan. Thanks for the response and understand what you are saying however, I have just spent 3 months with work in Singapore and I had exactly the same problem there. Does this now mean I have to open up a new account in every country I visit? I shouldnt have to do this. It should be just one account connected to my bank account in the UK. If I have to start setting up different accounts in different countries there is more of a security risk. In the space of 1 year I could end up with 3 or 4 different Paypal accounts and thats just in 1 year the following year it could be 2 or 3 different countries. So now in 2 years I have 7 different Paypal accounts and that is just rediculous. I dont have to open up a HSBC bank account in all the countries i visit. Its 1 account in the UK i can access from anywhere.
Login to Me Too

shaker44
Contributor
Contributor

You are absolutely correct Michael and I dont understand why Paypal just bury their head in the sand on this issue. We and they know that increasingly the world is a global village, with people travelling/working overseas far more. Even Trump is visiting multiple countries in 11 days. Hope he doesnt want to use his Paypal account!

When Paypal want to protect me and them better they want to phone my uk number which will be unanswered and will not phone the number where I can be reached abroad. And I just dont believe they are not smart enought to find a way of ensuring the overseas number is mine.

Come on Paypal. This needs a fix. Not just ignore and move on to your next issue.

Login to Me Too

imagemodeuk
Contributor
Contributor

It is absolutely stupid in this age when people move form country to country, particularly when on business. I am temporarily outside the UK and need to change my mobile number so that I can receive texts while away from home. NOT ALLOWED! My business account needs some slight but important action but would need a security code sent to me. Now business must stop until I return home in a  couple of months. DISASTROUS!  Would PayPal like their business suspended for a couple of months simply because of such a small issue?

If anything happens that requires an alert while I am away, I can't be contacted. How insecure is that???

Login to Me Too

DRDH2000

I'm also frustrated by this problem and agree wholeheartedly with previous posts.  It is nonsensical in this day and age not to be able to add a non-UK phone number, or address for that matter.  I also travel abroad and spend extended periods of time in other countries whilst my banking continues to be out of one bank in Europe!  Come on, PayPal!  Up your act!  As stated previously, it is an essential from a customer security perspective!

Login to Me Too

snock
Contributor
Contributor

Come op PayPal.The world awaits. What if my UK phone got lost whilst out of the UK

Why can't provide an alternate number to you? Can you even give a logical answer to

this?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.