Account verification

Madmarx
Contributor
Contributor
I have received some funds through paypal, intended to move it along to my bank account. Received a notification that I need to verify my account by uploading pictures of government issued ID and an invoice where my adress and name are visible. Did that 2 times, but I still get a reply that it’s not good enough, I should upload some different ID. What the hell? What gives Paypal the right to demand I upload sensitive personal information (picture of a government issued ID card) before letting me move the money to my account for which they charged more than 3% upon me receiving it? How are they storing the pictures of my ID card? Who has access to these pictures? If they charge me for a service, why are they making demands which are on the verge of illegal before they actually let me use the service???
Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Madmarx

Paypal is a legal financial account, they have the right to confirm your i.d. before they allow you to continue using their services and withdrawing any funds.

However can't give you much more info as you haven't added your country to your community profile or said what country you are in, and paypal varies country to country.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Madmarx
Contributor
Contributor
I’m from Hungary, money was transferred from a hungarian bank account and I have sent pictures of what they demanded twice. Still can’t transfer the money from my account. Still, they charge fees for a service they don’t provide unless you send them sensitive info that can later on “get stolen” and missused...
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Madmarx

Well to be fair you agreed to them being allowed the right to request that information when you opened up your paypal account and agreed to their user agreement.

If you don't want to provide that info all you have to do is close your account.

As for information being stolen, paypal is a very secure site and that is why they have over 250 million paypal account holders worldwide.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Madmarx
Contributor
Contributor
To be fair, no company should have the right to demand you send them pictures of government issued documents. To be fair, no company should have the right to blackmail you for sensitive information AFTER they charge you a maffialike percentage for using their services. To be fair, most sites claim they are secure, untill the news article comes out about “ user accounts/information stolen” and then oooooops, sorry, please change your passwords... To be fair, if they demanded this before accepting the transfer and charging me as much as they did, I would probably be calmer about this. As it is, I feel blackmailed.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Madmarx

To be fair if you are not going to comply with paypals user agreement then close your paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Madmarx
Contributor
Contributor
Read the original post please, before using your paypal issued “how to deal with heathens who say bad things about paypal” manual on me. I complied, I have sent pictures, I have asked them in an email to move the money back to the sender and I will delete the account afterwards.
Login to Me Too

Madmarx
Contributor
Contributor
Please scroll up and read the part where I wrote I sent the documents twice. I intend to close my Paypal account as soon as I have transferred the money, but at the moment I can’t, as I can’t transfer the money. This while thing is like walking into a bar, giving money to the bartender for a glass of whatever, him taking the money and giving himself a generous tip from your money, pouring the glass of whatever and then demand two types of ID, but refusing to accept it. Did this help understand the problem with the whole situation?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.