Account linked to old phone number

Jessica2477
Contributor
Contributor

My old account is linked to a phone number I no longer have. Yes, I've called customer service but their phone lines are down due to Coronavirus. I have tried "trouble logging in" and it still prompts for the one-time security code to the old phone number. I just need to get that number removed and everything would be fine. Is there another way to go about this or am I just **bleep**?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

ramberroya
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi, You can add an extra layer of security to your PayPal account by enabling 2-step verification for log in. Once this feature is activated, we’ll send you a unique, random 6-digit access code each time you try to log in. Simply enter this code to access your account. There are two ways to set up 2-step verification. You can use an authenticator app (like Google Authenticator and Microsoft Authenticator) or you can ask us to send text messages to your mobile phone. Here's how to set it up: Go to your Settings. Click Security. Click Set Up next to “2-step verification.” Choose to receive a text or use an authenticator app, then click Next. Follow the prompts to link your phone or authenticator app. Set up a back-up method in case you can’t access your primary cell or authenticator app. Click Done to activate 2-step verification. You can deactivate 2-step verification at any time: Go to your Settings. Click Security. Click Update next to “2-step verification.” Click Turn Off next to 2-step verification, then the Turn It Off button. For added protection, you can also add 2-step verification to other devices. Since you can no longer access the phone number. You may want to set up new email account and create a brand new paypal account and you will link the phone number you have access to. Hope this will resolve your issue. Thank you
Login to Me Too

Jessica2477
Contributor
Contributor

That's a nice reply, except as I stated above, I can't get into my account so I can't go into settings and update anything. The one-time code is the only option it gives me for verification, but because I don't have that old phone number anymore, I can't get it and so I can't log into the account

Login to Me Too

caseyk315
New Community Member
i have the same problem can you help me
Login to Me Too

Ces2216
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Jessica2477

Additional Information 

Since our telephone lines are closed due to Covid-19, you can maximize our Chat Support on the Contact Us option of any PayPal Page.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypal pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.
OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter

Login to Me Too

sverubas

i have same problem, plz contact my

Login to Me Too

pimjai
New Community Member
No one from paypal going to answer this question? I try to called talk to someone and they ask me to verify my identity that relates to the account sent everything as they require, now pass 10 days it still no answer and haven’t heard back from paypal.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pimjai 

You would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky. (use the guest option if you can't log in).
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AiTrinh716
New Community Member

I had the same issue.  Took me 2 days to get it resolved. 

Go to PayPal.com, click on "contact us'' in the bottom left of the site, click on "Common Issues, Password and account access, Login problems", then scroll to the bottom, click on "message us" and select "chat with us while logged out" 

Ask them to email you the password reset link. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AiTrinh716 

Think that is exactly what i said in the post above yours?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.