Account closed and money refunded Without my consent?

Baldrick43
Contributor
Contributor

I have had an account with PayPal since 2002, in this time there have been a few problems, but on the whole PayPal has been extremely helpful, That was until today.

Today I telephoned PayPal to enquire why a payment of £50.00 that a friend had paid me, the payment showed on my account as a payment of $63.71.

As this figure didn’t seem to be correct, I checked and found that it equates to £46.70 and not the £50.00 that I witnessed being paid.

I was informed that no fees were payable as it was a “friends and family” payment, but there was a commission payment taken for the conversion from GBP to USD?

I explained that it was paid in GBP and I was in the UK as well.

The next excuse was that the charged fee was due to the person paying me with a “Debit card”  I explained that there is no charges to use debit card in the UK and as far as I know, there is no longer a fee chargeable on credit card either!

I was basically informed that even if this was law, PayPal did not have to adhere to these laws, they only adhere to their own rules?

As far as who fees are taken from, I was present when this payment was made and nothing about fees being taken from either party was mentioned at the time of payment.

During one of many extremely frustrating calls to PayPal today and partly whilst thinking aloud I said word to the effect of “you may as well give all my payments back an£ closevthe bloody account!”

The telephone line then went dead.

I called them back, was asked for the last four digits of my bank account or bank card, as these were not to hand, I tried to sign in to my PayPal account to get these, but could not sign in, I mentioned this to the PayPal employee and he said that he would try.

He then said that he was having trouble as well, he asked me to wait, when he came back, I was informed that my account had been closed?

I asked who had closed it and why it had been closed?

He informed me that “I” was the only person who could close the account.

I told him that “I did not want the account closed”

He said that it was not possible to reverse the closure, I asked to speak to a manager and was informed that I would receive a call back within five minutes.

After one and a half hours, I called again and was promised a call back within an hour that was one and a half hours ago!!!

There are payments due, both in and out of the account and the money in the account (My money) it appears has been refunded also without my permission!

Whilst I was talking to customer services, I received an email asking to confirm if I did indeed want mt account closed?

I quickly replied that I did not!

I then received an email saying that the email address was not monitored and to contact PyPal!

I was talking to them already!!!!

Is there anyone at PayPal who knows what they are doing? 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
You told them to close your account so they did as requested. When they emailed to confirm it would have said 'do not reply to this email ' OR would come up as a no reply email address OR you would have had an 'underliverable' message. So then you quickly phone to say you changed your mind. As for your fee the only thing i have come across before in that situation is where paypal treats 'some' debit cards as credit cards due to the way the bank registers their cards. There is a web site to check .....will try later. BUT normally that fee would apply to the sender not receiver. Was their currency conversion though as you have put the symbol for dollars and pounds in your post?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Baldrick43
Contributor
Contributor

The PayPal fraud department have informed me that everything was closed online, it was not,

I have asked them to prove this, as I know that they cannot and to be honest, I would not know how to close the account online.

I have used PayPal since 2002 and they have been extremely helpful in that time, losing an account that has been operating since 2002 is a big deal to me, I have had the same mobile telephone number for 29 years!!

I have lost money, have basically been called a liar, have been told that “I”  closed and cancelled everything from my own computer and IP address.

This they say they can confirm and I have asked them to do this in writing, as I “didn’t” so it will be a little difficult for them to confirm that I did.

That in itself amounts to fraud!

When I discovered that my account had been closed, I was in fact talking to customer services on the telephone and it was they who informed me, as I didn’t know that it had been closed!

Although the email that I found only asked me to contact PayPal and confirm that I wanted to close the account, it did not say “do not reply to this email address“

But as I said, I was already talking to them by telephone, so no email really needed!

Now after speaking to someone in the security department of PayPal, (someone who was prepared to listen) they are now looking into it further, what started out as a frustrating misunderstanding, has escalated beyond belief!

Even if I had asked for my account to be closed, written confirmation should be needed before it is closed!

Freeze all transactions by all means, but to closed everything within nine minutes without waiting for confirmation is ridiculous!

Login to Me Too

Baldrick43
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:
You told them to close your account so they did as requested. When they emailed to confirm it would have said 'do not reply to this email ' OR would come up as a no reply email address OR you would have had an 'underliverable' message. So then you quickly phone to say you changed your mind. As for your fee the only thing i have come across before in that situation is where paypal treats 'some' debit cards as credit cards due to the way the bank registers their cards. There is a web site to check .....will try later. BUT normally that fee would apply to the sender not receiver. Was their currency conversion though as you have put the symbol for dollars and pounds in your post?

The PayPal fraud department have informed me that everything was closed online, it was not,

I have asked them to prove this, as I know that they cannot and to be honest, I would not know how to close the account online.

I have used PayPal since 2002 and they have been extremely helpful in that time, losing an account that has been operating since 2002 is a big deal to me, I have had the same mobile telephone number for 29 years!!

I have lost money, have basically been called a liar, have been told that “I”  closed and cancelled everything from my own computer and IP address.

This they say they can confirm and I have asked them to do this in writing, as I “didn’t” so it will be a little difficult for them to confirm that I did.

That in itself amounts to fraud!

When I discovered that my account had been closed, I was in fact talking to customer services on the telephone and it was they who informed me, as I didn’t know that it had been closed!

Although the email that I found only asked me to contact PayPal and confirm that I wanted to close the account, it did not say “do not reply to this email address“

But as I said, I was already talking to them by telephone, so no email really needed!

Now after speaking to someone in the security department of PayPal, (someone who was prepared to listen) they are now looking into it further, what started out as a frustrating misunderstanding, has escalated beyond belief!

Even if I had asked for my account to be closed, written confirmation should be needed before it is closed!

Freeze all transactions by all means, but to closed everything within nine minutes without waiting for confirmation is ridiculous!

Login to Me Too

Baldrick43
Contributor
Contributor

Months have gone by, money and reputation lost, stupid questions asked, Have been asked for photo ID card???

What planet are PayPal from?

I am in the U.K., we DON’T use ID cards here!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Baldrick43 

ID photo card can be your driving licence. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.