Account Verification should not be so hard

MAMACO
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have been trying so hard to get verified by paypal. They made it impossible for me!!

I am non resident of US. SO no ITIN nor SSN number. 

My company is based in USA and i am trying to open a business account for it.

Paypal insists not understanding that i dont have those numbers and asking me verify those!!

Can somebody help me ??

Thank you

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MAMACO 

Opening a US PayPal business account would be difficult if you can not or do not get a tax ID number. You can apply for an ITIN for yourself, an EIN or have a US citizen as an agent employed by you to operate the PayPal account.

Read about tax ID numbers (TINs):

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

MAMACO
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

Can you please tell me more about hiring someone to operate Paypal?
I couldnt find much about it on the forum.

Thank you

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MAMACO 

There's no specific "service" that I know of that can do that. You just need to find someone (a friend, maybe or a friend of a friend, whatever) that is willing to go into a partnership with you in your business that is a US citizen in general. That's what I mean.

And did you even read the link from the IRS I gave you above about the ITIN? You can apply for it. Foreign individuals can apply for it.

ITIN

An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number (SSN). It is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number "9", formatted like an SSN (NNN-NN-NNNN).

You can use the IRS’s Interactive Tax Assistant tool to help determine if you should file an application to receive an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The Form W-7 requires documentation substantiating foreign/alien status and true identity for each individual. You may either mail the documentation, along with the Form W-7, to the address shown in the Form W-7 Instructions, present it at IRS walk-in offices, or process your application through an Acceptance Agent authorized by the IRS. Form W-7(SP), Solicitud de Número de Identificación Personal del Contribuyente del Servicio de Impuestos Internos is available for use by Spanish speakers.

Acceptance Agents are entities (colleges, financial institutions, accounting firms, etc.) who are authorized by the IRS to assist applicants in obtaining ITINs. They review the applicant's documentation and forward the completed Form W-7 to IRS for processing.

NOTE: You cannot claim the earned income credit using an ITIN.

Foreign persons who are individuals should apply for a social security number (SSN, if permitted) on Form SS-5 with the Social Security Administration, or should apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on Form W-7. Effective immediately, each ITIN applicant must now:

• Apply using the revised Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number; and
  • Attach a federal income tax return to the Form W-7.

Applicants who meet one of the exceptions to the requirement to file a tax return (see the Instructions for Form W-7) must provide documentation to support the exception.

New W-7/ITIN rules were issued on December 17, 2003. For a summary of those rules, please see the new Form W-7 and its instructions.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/obtaining-an-itin-from-abroad

Your business may have an EIN but PayPal will want a tax ID for the account owner too, thus you need the ITIN.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

MAMACO
Contributor
Contributor

My company has EIN number and IRS papers but paypal is asking for me to have SSN or ITIN, which i dont have because i am not based in US

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.