Accidentally Set Up Direct Debit after Requesting Funds

Back in April, I requested £30 to be transferred from my bank account to my PayPal. 6 working days later and the transfer was complete. Today I was browsing my banking app and decided to click on Direct Debits. There was a yearly direct debit set up to PayPal for £30. The date of the direct debit falls between the 6 days it took from requesting funds and receiving them back in April. I cancelled the direct debit as I didn’t set it up. I’m wondering why this would have happened. Would I have accidentally set this transaction up as a yearly direct debit whilst requesting the funds?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@delaneyherbert

Yep you can do it that way so you should be ok.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@delaneyherbert

When you add a bank account to paypal it sets up the direct debit mandate so that paypal can take 'authorised payments' for any purchases you make (or pay your Ebay fees / add funds etc).
No company eg water/electric can take funds from your bank account on a regular basis without a direct debit in place.
However the amount shown is always the ''last'' transaction / amount that you paid via paypal. Its not a regular amount like a subscription.

As you have now cancelled it you can no longer add funds to your Paypal account OR withdraw any funds. Also you can't pay a seller from your bank account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Okay this makes sense, although I just tested this and I can still transfer money to and from bank account to my PayPal. I transfer money directly from my bank account using a reference number they provided me so the money instantly appears in my PayPal. I transferred a small amount from my bank account and it appeared. I then transferred a different amount from my PayPal back to my bank using the PayPal app, and it worked. I don’t normally pay sellers directly from my bank account. I always transfer the money to my PayPal first.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@delaneyherbert

Yep you can do it that way so you should be ok.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.