Accessing my late husband's Paypal account

cordelia49
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

My husband died a while ago and he had a Paypal account. I don't know his password, so how can I check whether there is money in his account?

Regards,

Cheryll

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Cristina

Hi @cordelia49,

I am sorry for your loss. In this case, the account will be closed from the relevant department and you will be informed about any money left. Below are instructions on how to close the deceased's account.

To close the PayPal account of a person who is deceased, please collect these documents and email them to us:

If the executor is a statutory body:

• A cover sheet that states that the account holder is deceased and that the account's executor wants to close the account.
    • The email address of the account provided in the cover letter.
  • A copy of the accountholder’s Death Certificate; and
  • A Statutory Certificate identifying the statutory body as the Administrator of the Deceased Estate.

If the executor is not a statutory body:

• A cover sheet that states that the account holder is deceased and that the account's executor wants to close the account.
    • The email address of the account provided in the cover letter.
  • A valid government-issued photo ID of the executor.
  • A copy of the accountholder’s Death Certificate;
  • A Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration; and
  • A copy of the Executor/Administrator’s government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s licence, passport or state-issued ID).

Please email us the documents at bereavement@paypal.com.au and our Compliance department will review for account closure. Once all necessary documentation has been received and reviewed, the account will be closed within 1-2 working days.

We can disburse any funds that remain in the account in one of the following ways:

• Transfer the balance to the bank account linked to the PayPal account.
  • A wire transfer can be issued.

Any account information must be obtained through a subpoena.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.