2 Factor Auth

kz11
New Community Member

Is there a specific reason that paypal does not require 2 factor auth with services like google authenticator?

2 factor auth is the industry standard and I am loosing funds because of chargebacks due to unauthorized payments from hacked accounts.

With 2 factor auth enabled I would be able to check if a payment has been made securely or insecurely.

Seems like a no brainer and would massively cutdown on fraud cases.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Rilynnsmamaxo1
Contributor
Contributor
It's not set up automatically for every account because not every user wants it enabled for their account. You can easily set it up within your own account though. Click on the little settings icon, click on security, and you will see the option for it.
Login to Me Too

kz11
New Community Member

At least if they don't enforce it I should be able to check if a payment was made from a secure account with 2 factor auth enabled or not. Otherwise the only other option I have is a verification email with passcode and it is trivially easy to change the primary email address for a hacked account.  

I just did it on my own account as a test and it took less than 2 minutes. 

Even with the notification emails sent when adding/changing primary email address if an account owner does not check their emails immediately it is possible for a hacker to submit a technically valid order without 2 factor auth enabled.

Last week I processed an order and ti took the original account own 8 days to realise their account had been hacked. Am I supposed to wait for 10 days - 6 months just in case account was hacked before I fulfil an order*?

* digital goods so seller protection does not apply

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.