#transphobia

Temp20220322l
Contributor
Contributor
yo what's up with paypal being transphobic and not allowing nicknames or preferred names I dont want people to know my dead name what the hell
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20220322l 

Just like with bank accounts / credit cards OR most financial agencies, you have to use your LEGAL NAME.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20220322l 

Just like with bank accounts / credit cards OR most financial agencies, you have to use your LEGAL NAME.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Temp20220322l
Contributor
Contributor
ah yes I'm aware that you need your legal name on bank things but that's why I said a separate section for preferred name or nickname it wouldnt affect anything except protecting users from potential dead naming from people that never knew said name like really its not hard even my bank n most Australian banks as far as I know have a preferred name section that while on the app calls you but that name but still leaves your legal name on the card n such dead naming can be extremely harmful and I really dont appreciate that people that previously didnt know that name now do so it would be so much better for everyone involved if paypal changed this
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20220322l 

Why not suggest it to them here...............it would help those going through the transgender process when there legal name is still a name they don't want to be called by?

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Suggestions-for-PayPal/bd-p/suggestions

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Freckled_Mutt
Contributor
Contributor
I made my account with my preferred name before PayPal changed its legal name requirements. I am currently fighting with them over a refund that they don't want to give me because they mistakenly put it into PayPal balance instead of into my card, which is what I used to pay. It of course won't let me add my bank account because my preferred name doesn't match with my legal name, but when I tried to cha get my name on PayPal they asked me for proof of a name change. When I explained I have never legally changed my name and was simply using the one I identify with, they stopped trying to help me change the name and told me they didn't accept "nicknames or fake names" (which I found as extremely insensitive) and to just delete my account and make a new one. That was it: I told them I was trans and they actively stopped trying to help me (not that they were trying very hard in the first place). So not only is the policy itself transphobic, but the actual people working in support are too (at least in my experience).
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.