Wrong phone number on account but cant access account to change phone number due to verification.

TomBooth
New Community Member

Hi, 

so i haven't used paypal in a few years, i'm trying to sell some old magazines on ebay and thought id make sure i can access my paypal still first. i remembered my password however it is asking for 2 step verification on  a phone number that is no longer in service. i can not get in touch with paypal on the phone as every time of the 3 i have tried they cant verify my phone number adn i cant access my account to send them a  message becasue i dont have access to the old phone number. does any one have a direct contact for paypal customer service email or anyway that i can resolve this please? i am getting quite frustrated in my eternal loop of phone number verification!! 😂

all the best 

<Removed>

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

BeardyFace
Contributor
Contributor

You and me both, it's stupid, push comes to shove they'll get an old-fashioned letter demanding some action.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BeardyFace 

Think its you that should have taken the action as the message to check and update a mobile phone on to your account ready for this new security requirement has been on everyones paypal account for months.

@TomBooth 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option several times.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones are slowly re-opening and increasing in numbers (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BeardyFace
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@BeardyFace 

Think its you that should have taken the action as the message to check and update a mobile phone on to your account ready for this new security requirement has been on everyones paypal account for months.

Some of us have been known to go 6 months between uses & thus had no reason to login & see any notice.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BeardyFace 

Fair enough but personally I would never leave a legal financial account without checking it that long.

I check my bank account and cards daily and my paypal account at least weekly, but your call.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.