Won't let me login unless I add a mobile phone number

SayNoToMobile
Contributor
Contributor

I can't log into my account because it wants me to add a mobile phone number, and I don't have a mobile phone.

I used to be able to skip this step, or say "not now" but now the button is gone, how do I get the "not now" button back?

How do I skip adding a mobile phone number?

Again I don't have a mobile phone, I don't even have a land line.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SayNoToMobile 

To get into your account you would need to contact customer services BUT once in you would need to add a mobile phone as you would need one for future account access. 

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages.

1. Paypal phones when available (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Otunes
Contributor
Contributor

None of the contact options will let me contact paypal themselves unless I log in and add a mobile phone number, which I do not have. 

I'm trying to login to my paypal account, but now it appears to be requiring me to add a mobile phone number to access my account.

How do I do that if I don't HAVE one?

It has always worked fine with just my login and password before, as I have never had a number associated with it and don't intend to spend all that money just to access my paypal account.

So how do I log in without buying a phone I can't afford and will never use? 

At least long enough so I can transfer all my paypal funds somewhere else and shutdown the whole account if you're going to be so ridiculous as to REQUIRE a mobile phone?

Login to Me Too

Otunes
Contributor
Contributor

So far the only contact I have been able to make with Paypal support has been thru @askpaypal on twitter, and they seem unable or unwilling to comprehend the situation and problem, and keep trying to get me to contact them thru the paypal site which I can't do because even though it accepts my login and password, it won't go past the screen requiring me to add a mobile phone number.   

One person there suggested I call them and provided a path to do so that didn't include the actual number, but instead a path that requires me to login to even GET the phone number.

Another did at least give the number and hours of operation (which I could use if I could get someone to let me use their phone), but the other methods they provided also all require me to login, which won't work because their site won't let me past the screen requiring a mobile phone number.

There is no reason to require a moble phone number to access my account, which has worked perfectly without one for at least most of this century (I've had it so long I don't even remember the year I started it!). 

Login to Me Too

Otunes
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to add the actual contact info they provided to a previous post:

Customer Support[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]Monday-Sunday 8am-8pm CST

Login to Me Too

Otunes
Contributor
Contributor

Wow.  It won't even let me post their phone number so that people can get help (since you can't get it via paypal's own page if you have this problem). 

So paypal can freely demand our phone numbers, but we can't freely have theirs even as customers. 

Login to Me Too

digb
Contributor
Contributor

im in the same boat right now

Login to Me Too

Otunes
Contributor
Contributor

I had posted some iinfo that might be useful to those having this problem, in the threads I could find about it, but paypal removed them all because they were "repetitive".  

Odd that they didn't remove the various other "repetitive" posts also placed in these by other members, that were also trying to help. 

Oh well.  I tried. Sorry they woudln't let me. 

Login to Me Too

WelpIAgree
New Community Member

Also in the same boat. No problems through the last month, then suddenly can't proceed without a phone number. I managed to call in a few times - customer support is unhelpful, mainly because they seem to be confused, as if they don't understand how your password etc. could be accepted, yet you couldn't log in. Failure to make sure they are trained on the new system, it seems.

If anyone can figure out what to do / how to prompt customer service so they at least know what is going on, that would be helpful.

Alternatively, isn't notice generally required before making large changes like this? Given Paypal is now a bank, they should have all of the standard notice compliance requirements of any standard bank.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.