New Phone Number - 2 Factor Authentication Problems - Cannot access account

nuhjeea
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot access a PayPal account because it has 2 factor authentication set up by text message. However, I changed my phone number and don't have access to that number anymore, but it keeps asking me to "verify by phone" through a code. I have access to the email and the correct password and can even change the password but DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE PHONE NUMBER ANYMORE.

When I call customer support, I get put through a long automated system and when I finally get to ringing, Paypal drops the call and I have to repeat. This has happened 5 times in the last couple of hours. The customer service has been horrible.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nuhjeea 

Try:

1. Downloading the app to see if it will let you in to change / update it in the settings.

2. Use the forgotten password option.

3. Trying another browser that may let you in without phone verification (then change it when you have logged in).

4. Trying again another day when sometimes you can get in without doing the verification and then change the number.

5. Changing the password a few times sometimes works as it can bypass the phone verification.

If that does not work then you would need to contact customer services so that they can i.d. you another way and then add your new phone number to your account.

Contact options for Paypal at the moment are...

Paypal phones are mostly non operational since covid but sometimes you get lucky. (use the guest option if you can't log in).
If there is one available it will show when you click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available in your country.
Live chat is randomly available.
You can send them a message.
Or
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

chorisia
Contributor
Contributor

changing password does not work after doing so you are asked to verify agin

Login to Me Too

chorisia
Contributor
Contributor

Facebook contact useless they clearly did not read what I sent them. why cant they simply change the phone number when contacted after confirming who you are? All this began for me when leaving virgin who wont let you move your phone number or keep your email address,virgin  are even worse to communicate with. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.