Log-in problem

ColinD100
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am having problems logging in as I cannot receive pass-codes by phone, only be email. I am in my 70s and don't have a mobile phone, and my land-line phone blocks some calls including Paypal apparently. My regular bank sends one-time pass-codes to me by email, so I know this is possible and legal. If I cannot receive pass-codes from Paypal in the same way I will no longer be able to access my Paypal account or use it for payments.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ColinD100 

You need a mobile phone now for the new security requirements.

You can always get a cheap PAYG phone just to use for paypal, and my bank insists on one as well.

Not sure what being 70 has to do with anything to be honest.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ColinD100
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have no intention of buying something I have no other use for just to access an account. Why should I spend money unnecessarily? Not only would I have to buy the phone, I would also need to pay for a sim which would need to be topped up from time to time. I only mentioned my age because most younger people seem to regard a mobile phone as an absolute essential. I am retired and don't go out all that much, particularly at the moment, I have a landline phone I can use whenever I want and I have 3 computers available to me at any time. I simply don't need another device.

It isn't a legal requirement to have a mobile phone to access an online account. I do online banking regularly on my computer, and if my bank requires me to use a one-time pass-code, they email it to me. As I'm already on my computer that makes it nice and simple. If Paypal want me to have a mobile, maybe they should supply me with one F.O.C. and cover its running costs? If Paypal can't/won't email me any pass-codes needed, and they aren't prepared to send me a free device I can use, I will simply stop using Paypal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ColinD100 

Its a security requirement with paypal now so if you don't want a mobile phone you would probably not be able to continue with a paypal account...up to you.

I am retired as well and certainly would not be without my phone, bailed me out on many occasions.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ColinD100
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I appreciate the help, but it hasn't solved the problem. If I can't access my account without buying a phone, then I simply won't be able to use Paypal anymore. That's not really a solution. I can't understand why Paypal can't email a pass-code to me as my regular bank does it with my current account all the time. Paypal has my email address and they send me other emails, so why not pass-codes? Email is much more convenient anyway as I'm already on my computer. Several of my friends of my age don't have and don't want mobiles. Does that mean they can't use Paypal either?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ColinD100 

There is an easy solution, get a mobile phone or don't use paypal, your call.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ColinD100
Contributor
Contributor

If that is really the case then I simply won't use Paypal anymore.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ColinD100 

ok

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.